Blind Baking Conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Recipe #1 - Bake at 375 for 20 minutes - remove parchment and weights
Recipe #2 - Bake at 350 for 15 minutes - remove parchment and weights, prick base, bake further 10 minutes
Recipe #3 - Bake at 400 for 20 minutes - remove foil and weights, prick base, bake further 10 minutes, brush with egg whites.

these are all for a Mushroom and Shallot Quiche - which would you use?

Tough one. I think I'd use #3, but omit the egg whites. They just serve to seal the crust, and unless your quiche is just especially juicy, most likely are not needed.
Darn, that quiche sounds delicious!

I was thinking nbr 1, but back in to dry out the bottom?

Have made more galettes than quiches and this one has more mushrooms, ;)
I'll let you know!

Thanks guys!

I prick raw crust all over bottom and sides, put in paper and weights. Then bake till dry and golden.

So I roughly use #1

Step 1.
Just discovered a long lost pie shell in the freezer, will be using that - going to go with the Toaster Oven at 400 and parchment with the beans.
It's in the oven for 15 minutes. Then I'll remove beans and prick and maybe reduce temperature to golden up the bottom.
Meanwhile I'm prepping all the rest to assemble later today and finish.

Last edited:
#2 sounds like what I use for most of mine, except I bake it 20 min the first time, and I prick it before the first time. After 20 min, it is not at all raw, and doesn't have any tendency to puff up, with the second bake, which I do for about 15 min. And I brush with an egg or egg white before the second bake, to seal up any holes left - I don't want more holes! The pies baked in this pastry stay crispy on the bottom, as long as they last (which usually isn't that long!).

Last edited:
In the end I did the 375 with parchment and beans for 20 minutes, removed beans, pricked with fork, back in for 10.

It was perfectly cooked.
I forgot to take a picture of it empty. But I do have to say I'm always disappointed in store 9" pie shells. They never come up over the foil edge. Fillings are always too much for them. I usually prefer to make my own but was rushed so when I found this one, gave in and used it.
20221116_174527.jpg

So the quiche filling not only filled 9", it also filled a 6" crustless, and the extra liquid did a 6" with some stale bread filling.
20221116_174535.jpg
9" quiche with shell
20221116_174541.jpg
6"crustless quiche
20221116_174546.jpg
6" I guess you'd call it a bread quiche pie? LOL had to use up the liquid somehow!

late to the quiche party, in french kitchens the shell is not par baked.
The best pastry chefs use reverse puff dough, cooks use brise or pie dough, both are good.
Process is the same, roll the dough, place in buttered mold, Be sure to dock it then fill/bake.

If you have soggy crust its the custard, it needs to be 50/50 eggs and milk, cream is not necessary and will tend to make it dry on the palate, I worked with a chef who used equal parts egg and heavy cream, it wasn't good.

For a regular 8 inch foil pie mold I use 4 eggs which is 1 cup, that makes it easy to measure 1 cup of milk (or half pint of each).

things that make it soggy, too much cheese, over baking it breaks the custard too.
Excessive watery filling such as overcooked broccoli.

I just made a artichoke quiche using pie dough and took a pic of the bottom crust, the bottom crust nicely browned without any blind baking.
20231226_204712.jpg
and the money shot...
20231226_204835.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom