Boiling Water Canner Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illine

Assistant Cook
I purchased a boiling water canner not knowing that different sizes were available for different sized jars. I purchased a 7 quart canner but I want to process pint and half-pint jars. Can I use the round "holey" rack from my pressure canner in the bottom and place water-filled jars without lids to completely fill the canner? This is the only way I can come up with to keep my jars standing on their bottoms.

Just for further clarification... I don't have enough jars needing processing to totally fill the canner so can I put in water filled jars with no lids to keep the filled jars standing?

Thanks!
Illine

Congratulations. You are learning things faster than many people. The Boiling Water Canner is nothing more than a larger stock pot with a lid that helps prevent boiling water from bubbling out. You can use any size stock pot as long as you have some kind of rack in the bottom and space above the jars for 1"-2" of water and another 3"-4" to the rim of the pot. I love the newer models that have glass tops so you can see when the water starts boiling.

And yes, use the aluminum platform from the pressure canner. Much easier than the wire rack which will rust eventually. You can also order extra platforms online. For smaller pots, some people have used cake/cookie wire racks or tie a few canning lid rings together.

As for filling the canner pot, that is only an issue of energy use. If you only have 1-2 jars to go into the pot that's fine. I actually have two smaller stock pots that I have available for small canning jobs, like when I canning mustards in those tiny 4 oz jars. The smaller pot saves a little energy since it heats up faster.

Enjoy.

I haven't used one of those wire racks that come with Boiling Water Canners for a long time, but with my original one it would only hold quarts. They said it would hold pints too but I never could get that to work. Jars just flopped around. You can buy better wire racks online if you like using them.

We had an old one that belonged to DW mother...Designed for 7 quarts..but would hold 9 pints...,,It finally rusted out, and now we use an old pressure canner that belonged to my Grandmother as a hot water bather processor...It's designed for 7 quarts but will hold 9 pints as well........

Thank you so much Mcnerd. I have so muh to learn! My husband and I picked blueberries yesterday and I'm cooking them down in the slow cooker right now. Can't wait until I can can them! It smells so good. Trial and Error more me it seems along with all the advice and info you can give me.

Thanks, again.
Illine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom