Boiling weiners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But considering it is illegal to sell "mechanically separated beef" for human consumption, I doubt that the label would say it.

I like the Kirkland hot dogs from Costco, but I have no idea what's in them, nor do I want to know. On the rare occasion I eat a hotdog, I think they are the best. And always grilled or fried - never boiled.

If you are buying all beef hotdogs and the label begins with "mechanically separated" and you are in the US, then yes there is a big problem. From Wikipedia
I normally see, in certain products, "mechanically separated chicken." I don't think I've ever seen "mechanically separated beef." Thankfully!

I like the Kirkland hot dogs from Costco, but I have no idea what's in them, nor do I want to know. On the rare occasion I eat a hotdog, I think they are the best. And always grilled or fried - never boiled.
Costco used to serve Hebrew National hot dogs. I suspect HN makes the Costco hot dogs.

I almost always get pork hot dogs. The ones we like don't have any questionable ingredients. We don't have hot dogs often, though we do enjoy them grilled in summer. I use them in a few Danish recipes and in ABTs.

I do not know how I would make a hot dog casserole without them. The casserole feeds forty and only uses two packs.

I prefer Hofmann’s natural casing hotdogs for cookouts and the inexpensive skinless hotdogs for things like wiener bean pot or the poorman’s meal.

I prefer Hofmann’s natural casing hotdogs for cookouts and the inexpensive skinless hotdogs for things like wiener bean pot or the poorman’s meal.

Clara! I love her. I've made a couple of her recipes. The Pasta and Peas was fantastic. I also love listening to her little stories.

She's gone, but her videos thankfully still remain. Such an enjoyable lady.

@Aunt Bea that "Poor man's Meal" isn't for the poor anymore with good hot dogs selling for $5/pound. Boneless-skinless chicken breasts and thighs have been on sale for $2/pound this week around here.

Still, you just can't beat hot dogs potatoes, and onions for a soul-satisfying supper.

Has anyone ever made their own homemade hotdogs? I have the sausage making equipment, but never made hotdogs.

Has anyone ever made their own homemade hotdogs? I have the sausage making equipment, but never made hotdogs.
I personally haven't, but know someone who did. She said it was pretty fun, although a little frustrating at times and took some getting used to. But once she got the hang of it, she enjoyed it and said the sausages were super good. She said it was a looooooot of ingredients.

Hotdog wieners like Oscar Meyer are not made with undesirable animal inners. Fat trimmed from meat products is processed and cleaned with ammonia. It is then used to make wieners, chicken nuggets, and a lot of other stuff (comfort foods).

I’ve never made them but this recipe sounds pretty straightforward.

We still have one old German butcher shop that makes them. I believe that they lightly smoke them in addition to parboiling them.

The weiners we buy at Winesburg Meats are lightly smoked and oh so delicious! They started to vacuum pack some of their items a year or two ago, so we happily bring home hot dogs in addition to buying from their fresh case to eat while we're in OH.

Hotdog wieners like Oscar Meyer are not made with undesirable animal inners. Fat trimmed from meat products is processed and cleaned with ammonia. It is then used to make wieners, chicken nuggets, and a lot of other stuff (comfort foods).
I think you might want to check your sources.

Back
Top Bottom