Boiling weiners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually prefer mine grilled. When I can't grill, I broil them in the toaster oven.
They're good cooked in an air fryer as well. In fact, that's the only thing I've ever used my air fryer for, which is now sitting in the appliance graveyard, lol. But air fryer hot dogs are super good.

I've never cooked them in a toaster oven. I'll have to try that.

They're good cooked in an air fryer as well. In fact, that's the only thing I've ever used my air fryer for, which is now sitting in the appliance graveyard, lol. But air fryer hot dogs are super good.

I've never cooked them in a toaster oven. I'll have to try that.
I'm lucky to use our air fryer once a month.

we had one of the 'electrocution' cookers back in the 70's - pointed tips, one stuck each end of the hotdog on, slide the 'cooking tray' into the holder - it electrocuted the hotdogs with 110v from end to end.

actually tasted pretty dang good. definitely "quick"!

Love them at room temperatures. No boiling necessary.
I used to eat them right out of the package. And once a friend of mine looked at me in horror and said "Are you crazy??? You're gonna get food poisoning! Those aren't cooked!"

I had to explain to her that they were indeed cooked, just cold.

Also, spend a little more and only buy the 100% all beef hot dogs, such as Eisenberg, Miller's, Sabrett, Hebrew National, Nathan's, etc. A notch below those are Oscar Mayer Angus and Ball Park Angus (both 100% beef).

If the first ingredient on the label begins with "Mechanically separated", you are truly getting all the scraps and other leftovers from the production lines.

Last edited:
"All Beef" doesn't indicate higher quality. The sausages originally were made with pork or a mixture. "All Beef" became popular in the US when it was marketed as a higher quality option. Frankly (haha) you can make poor quality hot dogs with any of the popular meats just as you can make top quality hot dogs with any of the popular meats. I choose based on taste.

I buy Oscar Mayer most of the time, but will occasionally stray to another brand, especially if they're cheaper. I personally don't eat hot dogs all that often. But my son loves them, so I keep them around.

"All Beef" doesn't indicate higher quality. The sausages originally were made with pork or a mixture. "All Beef" became popular in the US when it was marketed as a higher quality option. Frankly (haha) you can make poor quality hot dogs with any of the popular meats just as you can make top quality hot dogs with any of the popular meats. I choose based on taste.

Perhaps, but they still taste a hell of a lot better :ROFLMAO:

That's a subject for another day.:ROFLMAO:

I don't think I've ever seen "mechanically separated" on a food package. Probably because I seldom buy processed meat items.
I've never noticed it, either, but I consider it an example of nose-to-tail cooking - using all possible parts of the animal. Hot dogs are simply a variety of sausage, which was invented to use all the parts that would be unpalatable if they were not processed in this way.

Also, spend a little more and only buy the 100% all beef hot dogs, such as Eisenberg, Miller's, Sabrett, Hebrew National, Nathan's, etc. A notch below those are Oscar Mayer Angus and Ball Park Angus (both 100% beef).

If the first ingredient on the label begins with "Mechanically separated", you are truly getting all the scraps and other leftovers from the production lines.
If you are buying all beef hotdogs and the label begins with "mechanically separated" and you are in the US, then yes there is a big problem. From Wikipedia
Due to FSIS regulations enacted in 2004 to protect consumers against bovine spongiform encephalopathy, mechanically separated beef is considered inedible and is prohibited for use as human food. It is not permitted in hot dogs or any other processed product.

Back
Top Bottom