Book Club - April 2121 - "Eight Flavors: The Untold Story of American Cuisine"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got a little behind in this book due to being sick the last week. Wasn't up to reading or doing much more than sleeping and taking meds to feel better. I did read the chili chapter today and must say it was very entertaining. The story of the Chili Queens morphing into the author becoming a "Chili Princess" to a drag queen was priceless. I am originally from Cleveland and lived in Lyndhurst on street off Mayfield Rd. I know exactly where the Skyline Chili was that she had her meal as I've eaten there myself. I wasn't vastly impressed with their fare, but for a "fast food" place, it wasn't bad. Sadly, like Parma Perogies, Skyline is no longer in business there. I love that this author puts herself out there to research her topic. Anyone can pour over reference and history books, but this lady adds a definite authenticity to her writing by experiencing the food and spices. I have a couple of chili recipes that use the spices but are of my own making - regular ground meat chili, chunky black bean chili, and hobo chili. I make the hobo chili with Bush's Baked Beans and add the "usuals." My black bean chili is made with - black beans, kidney beans, round steak, bacon and ground meat, onions and the "usuals" (tomatos etc.) Since we have some spice sensitivity in our old age, the amount of cumin and chili powder I use is generally less than what others might consider, but I use a secret ingredient in my chilis and it seems to cut the hot spiciness. This book was a great selection and I am looking forward to forging ahead and reading more!:yum::chef:

Have been so busy unpacking, helping son with finishing reno's, occasionally helping with baby and also a few meals - have just not had to time to get past the pepper.

But am most anxious to read the rest!!

And especially want to even try that pepper cookie recipe- I loved pepffernüsse while living in Germany.

LOL... but don't wait for me guys! I'll get there but still love reading your reactions/reviews. Already like the way she writes, yes, chatty and like an old friend catching up on the news. Good reading.

Thanks for the link, GG! Just ordered it, and we love ALL of them....sure glad they evolved, as a baby boomer, we grew up with boring meat and potatoes...

As a side note: a friend once gave me a whole vanilla pod in a jar of sugar that I let set for awhile and that was the most wonderful, fragrant spice ever to use on anything that needed sweetening.

Thanks for the link, GG! Just ordered it, and we love ALL of them....sure glad they evolved, as a baby boomer, we grew up with boring meat and potatoes...

As a side note: a friend once gave me a whole vanilla pod in a jar of sugar that I let set for awhile and that was the most wonderful, fragrant spice ever to use on anything that needed sweetening.
My aunt gave me that tip when I was a kid and I've been doing it ever since. I use it in my coffee as well as in my baking.

The vanilla pod that flavours the sugar doesn't even need to have the little seeds in it. If you have a recipe that tells you to scrape the seeds into something, that empty pod will also work. I have read that used vanilla pods can be dried and ground with sugar to make vanilla sugar too.

The vanilla pod that flavours the sugar doesn't even need to have the little seeds in it. If you have a recipe that tells you to scrape the seeds into something, that empty pod will also work. I have read that used vanilla pods can be dried and ground with sugar to make vanilla sugar too.

I didn't know this! I have to try it!!!

I've read the chapters on curry and garlic - I've never eaten a curry dish. I'd like try the County Captain, but worry about the spiciness of the curry. My best friend and her husband went on a missionary trip to India several years ago and they were told by the pastor not to eat the local curries that they were too spicy. So, I've always had reservations about curry. Kathleen: Maybe somebody could make a curry on our next visit somewhere, hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

As for garlic - I love the smell and taste of garlic. The first whiff of walking into an Italian restaurant sets my salivary glands off. I don't like an over powering flavor of garlic, and there again, sensitive digestion, but the hint of flavor makes the dish. I would not survive a "garlic crawl" as the author did, but I do sneak garlic in whenever I can.

I'm really loving the experiences of the author in this book and where I knew a lot of things were passed from mother to baby in the womb, taste for certain foods is a new one - especially garlic!

I've read the chapters on curry and garlic - I've never eaten a curry dish. I'd like try the County Captain, but worry about the spiciness of the curry. My best friend and her husband went on a missionary trip to India several years ago and they were told by the pastor not to eat the local curries that they were too spicy. So, I've always had reservations about curry. Kathleen: Maybe somebody could make a curry on our next visit somewhere, hint, hint, nudge, nudge.
The curry powder described in the book is not hot at all. It's derived from the idea of Indian curries; it has spices but it's very mild in terms of heat. I encourage you to give it a try.

The curry powder described in the book is not hot at all. It's derived from the idea of Indian curries; it has spices but it's very mild in terms of heat. I encourage you to give it a try.

Thanks for that clarification - I think I might give it a try. And if I don't like it I know where I can gift my curry ... :)

I've read the chapters on curry and garlic - I've never eaten a curry dish. I'd like try the County Captain, but worry about the spiciness of the curry. My best friend and her husband went on a missionary trip to India several years ago and they were told by the pastor not to eat the local curries that they were too spicy. So, I've always had reservations about curry.

Garam masala, or curry powder, is not necessarily hot. Of course, you can add chiles and make it hot, but it's mostly made of warm spices like you would put in spice cake or cookies. Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamon, etc.

I make country captain a couple times a year, and my wife would never eat it if it were hot. My favorite version is a recipe from the Lee Brothers in South Carolina.

Books are glorious things. When we read a book, we bring ourselves into the authors parlor, and interpret it through the veil of our own prejudices and experiences. I thought this was a book about food and flavor, and had no idea that it would hit me on such an emotional level. I was often excited by her discoveries, but just as often saddened and angered by them.

When I read the stories of Ranji, from India, I learned that he was denied citizenship because he wasn’t considered white, that after the Civil War we allowed “citizens of African nativity”, but still not from India, and that the Immigration Act of 1917 specifically excluded South Asians (Indians). But if they were here, they still had to register for the draft. In 1923 the Supreme Court held that any Indians who had somehow been granted citizenship, lost it, and all future applications from Indians would be denied. It wasn’t until 1965 that that was abolished. I thought of my late sister’s husband, Siddartha. Sid is from Delhi, has a PhD in Economics, is a professor, and is the kindest, gentlest man I’ve known. At my sister’s wedding his mother and sister were resplendent in their saris and bindis. To imagine that their beautiful bi-racial daughter, Mira, could be treated in any way as less than equal breaks my heart.

When I read the soy sauce chapter, I read the stories of the Chinese being beaten, taxed, and children forbidden to go to school. In the 1880s we actually codified into law the Chinese Exclusion Act, which stayed in place as the law of the land until 1965. Even worse is what we did to the Japanese during WW2. My nephew’s lovely wife is from Hong Kong. Their bright, artistic daughter (whom her Chinese grandmother calls Jieming) is adorable with her European yellow blond hair and her big dark Asian almond eyes. I can’t believe that in my lifetime the delightful trio of mother, daughter, and granddaughter would not be welcome here.

The story of Edmond Albius, who discovered the means to make millions of dollars for the white vanilla plantation owners, yet he died “a destitute and miserable end”, tore me up. I think of my niece’s young daughter Zyla, whose father is black. She is so full of life and energy that the world should be at her doorstep. When she grows up, she can be anything she wants to be. But like Edmond Albius, the color of her skin may close doors to her.

The chili queens were an inspiration. They found a way to develop a thriving enterprise. But then they were persecuted and regulated out of business. Today, we still have raging political battles about immigration from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries. My brother’s second wife, a Cuban exile, is a pilot and a co-founder of Brothers to the Rescue. His son’s wife is from Colombia; their 2 young daughters are beautiful. His other son and his partner, from Mexico are expecting a child this summer. They all live in South Florida, so they are somewhat insulated from the rampant racism against Latinos, but it’s painful to hear what’s said in our ‘hallowed walls”.

I don’t have any family members from Italy, VietNam, Thailand, etc, but the first 4 chapters of this book kept driving home how so much of our food, discoveries, and culture was brought here on the back of unappreciated immigrants. We love our Chinese food, but we don’t want the Chinese. We think of tacos and burritos as everyday food, but we don’t want the Mexicans that brought them. There is a whole new wave of appreciation for Southern Food and Soul Food, but we denigrate the black people that created them from whatever they could scrounge.

I really loved the book. I loved it for what I learned about the origins of our most cherished flavors. But I also loved it because it made me think. I wondered about why we don’t cherish the people as much as the food. And I cried.

Thank you for writing that, Silversage. I had sort of given up on the book at the end of chapter 2. I think I want more, now.

Silversage, that was beautifully written and I felt much the same way about the book, although I don't have as diverse a family as you do. What wonderfully rich cultural and culinary experiences you have to draw from [emoji813]

I'm sorry I haven't been as active here as I intended. I've been working on a master gardener project that has been taking more time than I thought.

How far along are people? I'm on chapter four.

It turns out that the author has a website that is no longer being updated, but she has a page of book club questions, so I thought I'd share one.
Lohman mentions omitting certain prominent American flavors from the book, such as chocolate and coffee, because of the wealth of existing coverage and research on them. Why else do you think she specifically chose to feature these eight flavors? What other quintessential flavors in American food are not featured in this book?

I really enjoyed this book, which I finished last night. It would have been sooner, but I was detoured by two murder mysteries somewhere between MSG and Sriracha. The back stories to each of the flavors was eye-opening. Almost all of these flavors has a spot in my kitchen. Curry is at the back of the line, though. We're OK with garam masala. We've tried a couple other curry blends and have decided that they aren't for our taste buds. I've never been in the MSG "it gives me a headache/makes me thirsty/makes me eat more" camp. I used my last little bit a while back. I'm waiting for a trip back home so I can buy it (at a much better price) from the Amish bulk food store.

I'll just put it out here right now: If the next "it" flavor is pumpkin spice, count me out. I like it in pumpkin baked goods like pie, muffins, or quick bread. Otherwise, nope. :LOL:

Books are glorious things...I was often excited by her discoveries, but just as often saddened and angered by them...
Books sometimes welcome us in to worlds that no longer exist. Or never did. I love books for that and so many other reasons.

One of the saddest and most disappointing emotions this book brought forward was the yet-again realization that for all of our railing against how "today's society" is and how we treat people, it's been this way for decades, nay, centuries. Mankind had advanced so far in knowledge and skills, but we still haven't learned how to be kind to man.

Back
Top Bottom