Bootleggers Day Dinner - 1/17/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
"On January 17, 1920, the 18th Amendment officially took effect nationwide. If you're not up to snuff on your American history, the 18th Amendment was known as national Prohibition. It called for the banning of the manufacture, sale, or transportation of alcoholic beverage. It even banned "intoxicating liquors", except for those used in religious services, of course. Led by the Temperance Movement, Prohibition was officially ratified on January 16, 1920 and fell into place the next day. Today, January 17 is known as National Bootlegger's Day. Interestingly enough, January 17, 1899 was Al Capone's birthday."

https://www.wideopeneats.com/brief-history-prohibition-national-bootleggers-day/

Tonight's dinner will be turkey meatloaf, garlicky mashed red potatoes, and broc. I'll be using the ATK recipe. The now legal alcohol will be wine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3VQ0aYr5gE&t=957s

I guess I'll wait until we celebrate the 21st Amendment to make something special. ;)

CD

I'm doing Asian tonight too Ross.

I've been thinking about the Shanghai Lion's Head Meatball soup that Med posted a few days ago and I went on a recipe hunt for them. The Serious Eats recipe called for some tofu, and I don't do that stuff. So....as usual it will be a combo of several interesting recipes I found for the special meatballs. The soup will have fresh shiitake mushrooms along with napa/bok choy/scallions/noodles.

I'm SO sick of all the gloomy days of rain, this will be fun in the kitchen with benefits.

Douche's quiche with home fries,
Did Craigsy do something to really piss you off, med? ;)

Our first night of takeout tonight. I picked up from a little Italian joint that's only open from 4 to10, 4 nights a week. Fantastic Italian American food (read: enough garlic to kill everyone in Transylvania)

We started with salads, then my wife had Passera Ripiena (crab stuffed flounder) in a scampi sauce, side of penne.

My boy had Scampi (shrimp) over linguini.

I had Pollo Arrabiata, side of spaghetti.

Curried mince in jaffles / toasties/ toasted sammiches. I don't know what you guys call them, 2 piece bread with filling then toasted under pressure, like a foreman grill.

Russ

Those are often called panini here, rascal.

A sandwich, usually made on Italian bread, that is then pressed down and toasted in a Foreman like grill.

Curried mince? Minced what? Kniwing you, I'd guess lamb.

Anything else in there?

I've been thinking about the Shanghai Lion's Head Meatball soup that Med posted a few days ago and I went on a recipe hunt for them. The Serious Eats recipe called for some tofu, and I don't do that stuff. So....as usual it will be a combo of several interesting recipes I found for the special meatballs. The soup will have fresh shiitake mushrooms along with napa/bok choy/scallions/noodles.

I'm SO sick of all the gloomy days of rain, this will be fun in the kitchen with benefits.

If anyone cares, this is the recipe I used for the meatballs. They were the most tender and flavorful meatballs we've ever eaten.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/shanghainese-lions-head-meatballs-shi-zi-tou

In preparation for days of hunkering down, I grocery shopped today. Had haddock fillets fried up while I wheeled around the one store. Nuked baking potatoes and steamed broccoli while the fish reheated. Kinda wish I had given in to picking up something for dessert...

IMG_20190117_211518916.jpg

We don't normally do tofu, or toad food as Craig calls it, but it does work in this recipe and does make the meatball texture better as noted in the explanation. I just froze what was left of the first package and have actually used it for a couple of other recipes since.

We have a speakeasy-style restaurant in town called Still that has a St. Valentine's Day Massacre party every February where people can win prizes for best gangster and flapper costumes, etc. They also have an End of Prohibition party in December to commemorate the repeal of the 18th Amendment.

http://www.stilleats.com/

https://www.history.com/topics/crime/saint-valentines-day-massacre

We had leftover Italian pot roast over mashed potatoes with steamed green beans seasoned with Penzeys 4/S Seasoned Salt and homemade bread.
0117192036a.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom