Braciole Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i buy my meat from bristol farms as they slice it 1/8 of an inch for me saves me pounding it. i use the same receipe my father used and he was from naples.
1 1/2 lbs round steak
1/2 cup italian-style breadcrums
1 garlic clove, minced
2/3 cup grated peorino romano
1/3 cup grated sharp provolone
2 tbl chopped fresh italian parsley leaves
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Last edited:
The Soprano Cookbook, has an absolutely awesome recipe for Braciole.
Uses veal cutlets, instead of beef.. The recipe also has a homemade pasta sauce, that the braciole cooks up in. You won't be disappointed !

The Soprano Cookbook, has an absolutely awesome recipe for Braciole.
Uses veal cutlets, instead of beef.. The recipe also has a homemade pasta sauce, that the braciole cooks up in. You won't be disappointed !

The whole purpose of making braciole is to use the less tender cuts of meat. Sure it is work. Lots of work. But the end product is a tender piece of beef from a usually tough piece. And the longer you cook it in the gravy, the more tender it becomes.

I grew up in an Italian town. (I think I was the only non-Italian) They never use a veal cutlet for braciole. They don't believe in wasting anything. During the war, our part of Boston played host to a POW camp for Italian prisoners. When the war ended, the majority of them chose to stay here. I think it was mainly because of the foods the residents brought to them at the camp. I have had some very tender and delicious braciole and can not wrap my head around using a veal cutlet for it.

A roll of braciole is made from a very tough piece of meat that has been pounded so thin you can almost read through it. Then you place a thin layer of breadcrumbs and seasonings, including cheeses of choice, then rolled and tied. It is then cooked in a Sunday gravy for at least three hours along with a piece of pork, meatballs, and other cheap pieces of meat that the butcher had on sale that week. The gravy also had some homemade wine tossed in for flavor. It is always made on a Sunday as that is when the gravy is made for the week. Pounding the meat is always Nono's job. He has the strengh to get it thin enough. (Or so the women let them think it) Some use a meat pounder, but most use the bottom of a heavy pan. That is the way his mother did it, so that is good enough for him. Why waste money of a piece of equipment when you had a perfectly good pot on hand. One of my girlfriend's Nona had special towels that she placed over the meat and it was pounded with a cast iron skillet. That sure did the job.

Veal cutlet? Sorry, not authentic enough for me. :chef:

Last edited:
I made a large braciole for my daughters birthday last week. I used a cheap pork roast that I butterflied and pounded until it was about 24" square. I stuffed it with what I had on hand, spinach, basil, mushrooms, onions, hard boiled eggs, pine nuts and Romano cheese. I braised it in a cast iron pan with some white wine. I served it with some homemade gnocchi with a basil alfredo sauce

I made a large braciole for my daughters birthday last week. I used a cheap pork roast that I butterflied and pounded until it was about 24" square. I stuffed it with what I had on hand, spinach, basil, mushrooms, onions, hard boiled eggs, pine nuts and Romano cheese. I braised it in a cast iron pan with some white wine. I served it with some homemade gnocchi with a basil alfredo sauce

The stuffing sounds delicious. :yum::yum:

The stuffing sounds delicious. :yum::yum:

Thank you. My daughter went to Italy last summer with my MIL/FIL and wanted an Italian meal(must have gnocchi) like she had last summer. Everyone now understood why she liked my gnocchi more than any she had in Italy

My FIL who has eaten at many of the best restaurants in the world told me that that meal(with a bolognese over bucatini for the pasta course) was one of the 10 best meals he's ever had

I have always been intrigued by braciole, I've never made it or even tried it. I really want to try it now!

The whole purpose of making braciole is to use the less tender cuts of meat. Sure it is work. Lots of work. But the end product is a tender piece of beef from a usually tough piece. And the longer you cook it in the gravy, the more tender it becomes.

I grew up in an Italian town. (I think I was the only non-Italian) They never use a veal cutlet for braciole. They don't believe in wasting anything. During the war, our part of Boston played host to a POW camp for Italian prisoners. When the war ended, the majority of them chose to stay here. I think it was mainly because of the foods the residents brought to them at the camp. I have had some very tender and delicious braciole and can not wrap my head around using a veal cutlet for it.

A roll of braciole is made from a very tough piece of meat that has been pounded so thin you can almost read through it. Then you place a thin layer of breadcrumbs and seasonings, including cheeses of choice, then rolled and tied. It is then cooked in a Sunday gravy for at least three hours along with a piece of pork, meatballs, and other cheap pieces of meat that the butcher had on sale that week. The gravy also had some homemade wine tossed in for flavor. It is always made on a Sunday as that is when the gravy is made for the week. Pounding the meat is always Nono's job. He has the strengh to get it thin enough. (Or so the women let them think it) Some use a meat pounder, but most use the bottom of a heavy pan. That is the way his mother did it, so that is good enough for him. Why waste money of a piece of equipment when you had a perfectly good pot on hand. One of my girlfriend's Nona had special towels that she placed over the meat and it was pounded with a cast iron skillet. That sure did the job.

Veal cutlet? Sorry, not authentic enough for me. :chef:

Thank you for this. I still remember my mother's and grandmother's braciole and I am dying to make some myself. I am going to try it soon. I may also look up the Soprano's recipe but I agree that I would not use veal cutlets. That would be a waste of an expensive cut of meat. I imagine you could use a chuck steak pounded very thin.

Thank you for this. I still remember my mother's and grandmother's braciole and I am dying to make some myself. I am going to try it soon. I may also look up the Soprano's recipe but I agree that I would not use veal cutlets. That would be a waste of an expensive cut of meat. I imagine you could use a chuck steak pounded very thin.

A piece of chuck has a lot of flavor. And it pounds out thin. :chef:

I just watched David Rocco make some on his cooking show and thought... wow.. it has been years since I had braciole.

I wasn't thrilled with the recipe he made, the filling was parsely, raisins, and pine nuts. Does anyone have a good tried-and-true recipe for braciole?
WOW I missed this thread when it was new.

My grandpa had to have raisins and pine nuts in his meatballs and raviolis with sweet filling at least once a month like his mom made. My grandma made meat gravy EVERY sunday with braciole, meatballs and sausage.

My mom HAD to make those meatballs and raviolis at least once a year. I never cared for the sweet ravs and meatballs.

img_1120584_0_59aed77a0d661ca8632086c42634968d.jpg

I posted my recipe if anyone is interested.

Ms. Mofet's Beef Braciole (click for recipe)

Hindsight is always 20-20. In this case removing the strings used to tie up the rolls was time consuming and difficult. In some cases it was nearly impossible to even find the strings.

I found these at Fantes and placed an order. Hopefully these will make assembling the dish and serving a bit easier.

22574meat_prep.jpg

How do you like the rings?

Although, I call them "rolatini" I guess they could be called braciole. Maybe not traditional, but we like them. I use round "steaks" (something that tough shouldn't be called steak), pounded thin and marinated in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic, garlic and dried herbs for an hour or so. Patted dry and stuffed using layered basil, motz, pepperoni or salami and mushrooms. I seal them with tooth picks, brown them off and simmer in Sunday gravy. Sometimes by themselves or with meatballs and sausage.

The nice thing about this dish is you can stuff it with anythng you fancy. :chef:

I agree. Sometimes I add spinach, provolone and prosciutto. It depends on my mood. (Or, an Italian-style stuffed and rolled meatloaf.)

A very similar dish - Rosa di Parma

http://www.relish.com/articles/Rosa-di-Parma/?printable=true

http://www.relish.com/recipes/rosa-di-parma-filled-beef-tenderloin/

Transfer to warmed, individual plates, spooning the sauce over the top, and serve at once.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Sometimes I add spinach, provolone and prosciutto. It depends on my mood. (Or, an Italian-style stuffed and rolled meatloaf.)

A very similar dish - Rosa di Parma

Italian Stuffed Beef Tenderloin | Relish.com

Rosa di Parma (Filled Beef Tenderloin) Recipe | Relish.com

Transfer to warmed, individual plates, spooning the sauce over the top, and serve at once.

Both are excellent recipes. But I would have to leave the raisin/currants out. I usualy make it with breadcrumbs, spinach, pine nuts and prosciutto, provolone cheese. Also standard Italian seasonings. The down size for me is that I don't make it for myself. But for my daughter. I buy the meat and some of the ingredients. She buys the rest and brings them to me. She makes her Sunday gravy, I make the roll and tie it. Then she takes it home and finishes it off with the cooking. She can make it herself, but for some strange reason, Mom's cooking makes it taste better. We both use the same recipe. Mine just has an extra ingredient in it. Mother's Love.

Can you bottle Mother's Love?

Last edited by a moderator:
My Sicilian grandfather used to make his with chopped hard boiled egg, but I make mine with sauted spinach, scrambled egg, and some shredded mozzerella to hold it together

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom