Braising Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmontg34

Cook
Later this week I want to try and make some braised pork with salsa verde. I'm just wondering if the final product will turn out okay if I cook it in the actual salsa. Or should I cook the pork with chicken stock until it gets soft and then add the salsa? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If you cut up the pork and cook it with the salsa, you'll end up bowls with green chili. If you want the pork separate with the salsa as a topping, cook the pork first and add the salsa later.

Okay, I think I'll cook it with the salsa then, the chili is kind of what I'm going for. Should I add any stock to it?

Okay, I think I'll cook it with the salsa then, the chili is kind of what I'm going for. Should I add any stock to it?

You need enough liquid for it to cook properly. Then you can thicken it to your liking with masa if you like.

That's exactly what I have cooking right now...I serve it as a stew with cheese and sour cream...lots of chips.

Last time I braised pork it was a Boston butt. I used Kirby mojo thinned down with chicken stock. Treated it like a pot roast, adding carrots, onions and potatoes at the right time for each to cook, without becoming mush. The best part is having the leftover pork for Cuban sandwiches.:yum:

Last time I braised pork it was a Boston butt. I used Kirby mojo thinned down with chicken stock. Treated it like a pot roast, adding carrots, onions and potatoes at the right time for each to cook, without becoming mush. The best part is having the leftover pork for Cuban sandwiches.:yum:

Do you cut off the fat cap? How do you prevent it from being hopelessly greasy?

A Boston Butt is a pork shoulder, though. And it has a pretty big fat cap.

Then we are having a regional name difference misunderstanding. Here pork butt (boston butt) and pork shoulder are two different cuts.

Front shoulder:

Top part = Boston Butt
Lower part = Picnic

Attachments

• hog_cuts.jpg
    hog_cuts.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 192
Back
Top Bottom