Bread from around the world article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out of the 50, I have only actually eaten 7 of those breads -- at least that I can recall.

CD

Great article, Larry! I have seen just about all of those in many of those bread books I have, as well as many magazines, through the years; made a large number of them, too. As I've often said, there's nothing like homemade bread! Of course, that goes for homemade just about anything. ;)

Looks like I had about 13 of them, but id sure like to taste just about all of them.
And yeah, just the smell of homemade bread is like one of the best smells ever.
When I was told I needed to be on a low carb diet, I thought for sure that someone put a curse on me. Luckily I allow myself cheating days, aka my bread and pasta days. But they are few and far between.

I have had a few of those. I didn't count. I'm not really fond of breads made of white flour, except Montreal bagels and croissants. The injera is really interesting. It's the flatbread that I find the most convenient for picking up food.

larry_stewart said:
Bread from around the world article
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/w...ads/index.html

If there were just one reason for me to travel around the world, it would be to sample all of these breads.

To be honest, I just looked at the pictures, I havent read the article yet.
Beautiful post Larry.
My travelin' days are probably over, but I wonder how many of those I breads I can sample in Memphis. Checked off a few already.

I have had a few of those. I didn't count. I'm not really fond of breads made of white flour, except Montreal bagels and croissants. The injera is really interesting. It's the flatbread that I find the most convenient for picking up food.
Couldn't agree more.
Recently discovered the Derae Restaurant through Google map exploration. Going there tomorrow for lunch. Hoping to have hanid (braised goat), injera bread, collards, and lentils. When I first saw these pictures, thought I was looking at a basket of napkins.
Derae Restaurant-hanid-injera-collard greens .jpg
In another thread here I wrote that things are discoverable things on "Maps" that would probably be missed driving down the street. This is a good example. Here's a view of Derae from the curb.
Derae Restaurant.jpg

Last edited:
In another thread here I wrote that things are discoverable things on "Maps" that would probably be missed driving down the street. This is a good example. Here's a view of Derae from the curb.
View attachment 37060

I had an experience like that in Philly years back.
There was this building at the end of an alley, no visible windows ( if there were, they were boarded up). Not in a high traffic ( foot or car) are, kinda off the Main Street. For year I always wondered what it was, until one day a friend told me it was one of the best Moroccan restaurants in the area, with a very authentic dining experience ( sitting on the floor and all that).
I was a broke student, so I never had the cash to go in and experience it, but it falls into that ' dont judge a book by its cover' category.

Another incident in Biloxi , where we found an Indian restaurant but circled a few blocks looking for it, cause the address was the address of a house in a development . Turns out, the restaurant was inside that house. ( poor signage ).

Beautiful post Larry.
My travelin' days are probably over, but I wonder how many of those I breads I can sample in Memphis. Checked off a few already.

Couldn't agree more.
Recently discovered the Derae Restaurant through Google map exploration. Going there tomorrow for lunch. Hoping to have hanid (braised goat), injera bread, collards, and lentils. When I first saw these pictures, thought I was looking at a basket of napkins.
View attachment 37059
Forgive me quoting myself but finally got around to eating at Derae this afternoon. By itself, the enjera was remarkable primarily for the novelty, but after finishing the braised lamb, the bread underneath soaked with lamb juice made the two-mile walk worthwhile.

I had braised lamb, garlic chicken, chickpeas, lentils, collard greens and basmati rice all served atop enjera bread with a basket full of extra bread on the side. Plus coffee, brewed with Ethiopian beans roasted on the premises.

Not being part of the Instagram generation, I didn't think to take a picture until messing up the plate by eating a good portion of the lamb and some of everything else, eating it by hand using the enjera bread as the only utensil.
IMG_20191103_153640122.jpg

Forgive me quoting myself but finally got around to eating at Derae this afternoon. By itself, the enjera was remarkable primarily for the novelty, but after finishing the braised lamb, the bread underneath soaked with lamb juice made the two-mile walk worthwhile.

I had braised lamb, garlic chicken, chickpeas, lentils, collard greens and basmati rice all served atop enjera bread with a basket full of extra bread on the side. Plus coffee, brewed with Ethiopian beans roasted on the premises.

Not being part of the Instagram generation, I didn't think to take a picture until messing up the plate by eating a good portion of the lamb and some of everything else, eating it by hand using the enjera bread as the only utensil.
View attachment 37220

That looks really tasty. You are making me hungry. But, that's an awful lot of food. I have only eaten Ethiopian food with friends. We would order a combo thingee with lots of different things to try, all on one large serving platter, all on top of injera bread that soaked up the sauces and was a marvellous treat at the end. Of course, there was also injera to pick up the food. We need to find another good Ethiopian resto. Our favourite one closed. :(

Hi Phannha, Welcome to DC. Thank you so much for reviving this thread. Originally posted in 2019 I don't believe I'd ever seen it! Fastinating! Gonna have to start looking for one or two of those recipes, they sound so good.
Have any of you previous posters tried one of those breads that you'd never had? Larry, casey, pepper, skillet, taxy? I'm sure one of you must have, LOL!

Hi Phannha, Welcome to DC. Thank you so much for reviving this thread. Originally posted in 2019 I don't believe I'd ever seen it! Fastinating! Gonna have to start looking for one or two of those recipes, they sound so good.
Have any of you previous posters tried one of those breads that you'd never had? Larry, casey, pepper, skillet, taxy? I'm sure one of you must have, LOL!
Nope, not yet.

Back
Top Bottom