Bread question for those in the know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
I have been struggling to get that wonderful open texture in my bread. You know, full of holes that serve to make wells for tons of melting butter. You see this texture in ciabata bread (sometimes). What is it that gives bread this texture? My assumption is that I need more yeast and/or a longer second rise. But when I did that I got an even finer textured bread. What am I doing wrong? Recipe is 3 cups AP flour, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1/2 cup water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. I also add 1/2 teaspoon sugar to get my yeast started.

I let the bread rise overnight then again for an hour or so on the second rise. Still need a longer rise?

I let the bread rise overnight then again for an hour or so on the second rise. Still need a longer rise?

You didn't say originally how long you let it rise, so probably not. It looks to me as if the ratio of ingredients isn't quite right.

Another option is the no-knead bread developed by a writer at the New York Times. They allow it to rise for 22 hours in the fridge, then bake in a covered cast-iron pan to increase the heat as much as possible. It makes a lot of dough and keeps for up to two weeks in the fridge.
http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breads/crusty-rustic-no-knead-bread/

Last edited:
The No Knead bread is just what you are looking for if you want crusty bread with lots of wholes.

It's super easy, with the exception of timing the long rise.

As one who doesn't like to bake, I too can vouch for this recipe, have made it several times. Super easy and good!

This was my first try at no knead bread. FANTASTIC toasted with butter and is great for meatloaf sammies!! LOL :chef:

img_1294721_0_2bfa15f5565fab23fe3a53a7a35e2817.jpg

img_1294721_1_5128233d7ee8ef841dcfb3fe01ee4861.jpg

Rapid expansion of the bread in the oven is what creates those holes. The problem is that it takes moisture in the form of steam to get the job done.

When you put a loaf of bread into the oven without any moisture, the crust begins to harden within a few minutes and prevents further expansion of the loaf.

One trick you can do is to put an empty metal pan on the bottom rack of the oven while preheating it. When you put the loaf in, quickly (because you don't want to let the heat out of the oven) add a cup of very hot water to the pan. This will create the steam needed for those critical first 10 minutes your bread is baking.

http://www.thekitchn.com/food-science-tip-add-steam-whe-76586

Last edited:
I have been struggling to get that wonderful open texture in my bread. You know, full of holes that serve to make wells for tons of melting butter. You see this texture in ciabata bread (sometimes). What is it that gives bread this texture? My assumption is that I need more yeast and/or a longer second rise. But when I did that I got an even finer textured bread. What am I doing wrong? Recipe is 3 cups AP flour, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1/2 cup water, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. I also add 1/2 teaspoon sugar to get my yeast started.
BTW I used to make dense loaves of bread. I find more water produces a crumb with more holes.

Thanks everyone. I'll have to wait till next weekend to try again. My cupboard is teeming with bread now.

Charlie,

It's the same NYT/Mark Bittman recipe that's been posted here a gazillion times for maybe 7 years.

Try it if you haven't yet. It's a great recipe,

You'll also want a very wet dough, like a ciabatta and the no knead recipe, that and time.

When shaping the bread you'll want to be gentle so as not to pop all of those bubbles made by the long fermentation.

This was my first attempt at the NY Times no knead bread, it is an awesome and ridiculously simple recipe.
SG1L0285.JPG

You'll also want a very wet dough, like a ciabatta and the no knead recipe, that and time.

When shaping the bread you'll want to be gentle so as not to pop all of those bubbles made by the long fermentation.

This was my first attempt at the NY Times no knead bread, it is an awesome and ridiculously simple recipe.
SG1L0285.JPG
YUM!! (Did you add eggs? The bread looks a bit yellow but it could be the lighting or my eyes :wacko:)

I didn't shape mine, just plopped it into an oval casserole dish and covered it.

I though it got it's shaped from the pot etc. it was placed in. I thought it would just spread and be a flat wide loaf if it wasn't in a pot.

I just ran across a recipe where the dough was shaped and cooked on a hot pizza stone. It looked wonderful. I am going to try it next time.

Do I need to add any additional flour if I just want to place it on a stone?

SG1L0285.JPG
That loaf looks great. Can't wait to try it again ...tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom