Breadless sandwich ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Low carb options to replace bread -

Aburaage - essentially the tofu version of Pita. I think it comes in cans sometimes.

Tofu skin aka Yuba - preferable fresh or frozen, the dried ones take special handling to get them to "unfurl" so most people just toss them in soups and stews. Use it like egg roll wrappers.

Soy flour pancakes - way lower carb than wheat flour. I would use them like wrappers or scoops and would make them savory, not sweet.

Mostly I'm concentrating on rice replacements, eg something fairly mild that will still soak up curry goodness while enhancing your enjoyment of the dish without loading you up with carbs. I'll be going on an aburaage-and-yuba hunt this weekend to see how well I can get these to work with the stuff I normally eat (Indian and Asian cuisine almost exclusively).

Shirataki noodles are a 0 carb option to replace pasta in stirfry. I don't care for them as a wheat-pasta replacement (such as in spaghetti) because to me they have the wrong texture. But it turns out there are "noodles" made of tofu that are very low carb that might do better for that purpose, or if not, at least give me more variety than just shirataki noodles almost every day.

I'll also be hunting for the aforementioned tofu "noodles", and fareekh (green wheat) which has about 40% fewer carbs than rice. I will soon be making my own tofu and will have lots of okara to experiment with as well.

Cucumber would make a lousy bread replacement IMNSHO. Also whole tomatoes and, in fact, just about everything in the linked article. Forget "sandwiches". Just eat.

Oh dear, it sounds awful.

As I've said elsewhere I eat a balanced diet (including ALL essential food groups which means "carbs" too). I've made it to almost 70 and have been described by my Doctor as "disgustingly healthy!" so I think I'll stick with the occasional sandwich with the demon bread. Not, of course, the horrible soggy white sliced travesty that the supermarket sells in plastic bags. I mostly make my own or in a crisis I buy it at the deli where they make their own. The latter makes delicious sandwiches.

Incidentally, if you think your bread upsets you and you HAVEN'T been diagnosed by a proper Doctor as coeliac, you should try chewing bread properly. Saliva contains an enzyme that begins the digestion of starch in the mouth and if you don't chew bread enough you'll get fiendish indigestion.

Last edited:
LOL ... definition of a sandwich is "something" (preferably edible) served between two slices of bread.

If the "something" is rolled up in a lettuce leaf or rice paper, etc - it is defined as a wrap.

At least in my book...

That has been extensively discussed in this thread. Have you read this thread from the beginning? It's entertaining reading.

Thank you TL. Redundancy is something I have been guilty of myself. But I do try to catch myself. I do know that I have let it be known on more than one occasion that I am not a fan of bread. And there I go repeating myself.

So if I lay down a leaf of lettuce, place a tomato with mayo, a sliced cuke and other foods that I enjoy more than bread, place a second leaf of lettuce on top of that, to me that constitutes sandwiching the tomato along with the other chosen goodies, thus I now have a sandwich.

At present I have an unopened package of egg roll wrappers. If I place all those goodies on the egg roll wrapper flat, and place another "wrapper" on top without rolling it, that to me constitutes a sandwich.

Breakfast: Low fat healthy bread free sandwich

Ingredients: cabbage, carrots, flour, scallions, eggs, ham, tomatoes, cheese slices, black pepper, salt, tomato sauce

Method:

1. Shred cabbage, clean and drain. Add shredded carrots, scallions, and 2 tablespoons of flour, stir well, and then add 4 egg liquids and an appropriate amount of black pepper powder and salt. Stir well;

2. Heat up the oil in the pot and fry the cabbage into a pancake shape.

3. Assembly: Cabbage cake+ham+cheese+tomato+poached egg+tomato sauce+cabbage cake;

4. Wrap it in oil paper, cut it in half, and take care of it.

This is my approach and I hope it can be helpful to everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom