"Breakfast" Refreshments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
I have to make some kind of breakfast refreshment for my Sunday School class on Dec. 19. I need something that will travel well & can be eaten with little mess. Most people bring donuts for this but I want to make something. A couple of weeks ago we had a breakfast casserole, so I want to steer away from that too. Does anyone have any suggestions? There are normally about 15-20 people in my class. Any help is greatly appriciated! :D

Is it adults or kids? (I think I have a recipe somewhere at home for breakfast cookies. I can look for that if you want.)

PA, it's adults. I have a recipe for breakfast cookies too, it's posted somewhere in the Desserts, Sweets, & Baking area. But, if you wouldn't mind posting your's too, so I can see if there are any diffrences, I'd appriciate it. One can never have too many recipes! :D

Mudbug, I thought about that but I just don't know. I'm terrible when I have to make up my mind! :oops:

I'll search tonight when I get home for ya'!
I'm the same way when I have to decide what to make. I have so many recipies I can never decide! Go with the tried and true or try something new--there are too many of each!

how about an assortment of mini muffins - the pecan pie ones come to mind...can't remember where I've seen the recipe lately either...
I'll be on the lookout for those breakfast cookie recipes - I can not get my 9th grader to eat breakfast at all...so if they are good, I can maybe get one in him in the mornings.

I found it! I had it here afterall. I haven't made these in a long time, but do remember you can change them up a lot if you want. Sub out half the raisins for chocolate chips (or all!), use Craisins instead of raisins, nuts, flax seed instead of wheat germ (I prefer the wheat germ), etc.

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup raisins
1/3 cup water

Directions
1 In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together
butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until creamy.
Beat in eggs and water or buttermilk.
2 Mix together flours, oats, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon,
and baking soda. Mix into peanut butter mixture. Stir in
dates or raisins. Drop by ice cream scoopfuls 2 1/2 inches
apart on greased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly.
3 Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 18 - 20
minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to
cooling racks. Store in an airtight container.

Little smoky piggies in blankets might be a nice change. With some honey mustard and BBQ dipping sauces. Maybe make that awesome banana bread everyone's been raving about. too.

I guess Bloody Mary accompaniments would be out of the question.

mudbug said:
Little smoky piggies in blankets might be a nice change. With some honey mustard and BBQ dipping sauces. Maybe make that awesome banana bread everyone's been raving about. too.

I guess Bloody Mary accompaniments would be out of the question.

Some sort of "Contemporary Communion?" ;)

Had another flash. What about gingerbread men or gingerbread muffins? After all, they're very seasonal.

I do so enjoy thinking up work for other people to do!

You could easily make the Bacon Cheesecake I posted into mini ones using a muffin pan. A savory type muffin might also work really well. The quesadilla recipe is always a hit too.

Turkey and Cheddar Muffins
1/4 c Butter
1/2 c Sweet onion, minced
1 c Milk
1/4 c Green bell pepper, minced
1 Clove garlic, minced
2 c Flour
1 tb Baking powder
1 ts Salt
2 Eggs
1 ts Freshly ground black pepper
4 oz Turkey, finely diced
1/2 c Cheddar cheese, sharp, diced small
1/4 c Sunflower seeds, toasted

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease muffin pans.
1.In skillet over medium heat, melt butter, add onion, green pepper & garlic; cook 5-7 mins or until onion is translucent.
2.In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
3.In another bowl, combine milk & eggs until blended. Add vegetables, turkey & cheese to wet mix. Stir in dry mix until just combined.
4.Spoon batter into pans & sprinkle with seeds. Bake 25-30 mins for regular size muffins (if making mini muffins, bake for 15-20 mins). Cool on a wire rack.

Fruit Quesadillas with Salsa
1 pt Fresh strawberries, hulled, diced
1 Ripe pear, cored, diced
1 c Pineapple, chopped
1 tb Fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tb Honey
1 c Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Cinnamon and sugar mixture (3 parts sugar, 1 part cinnamon)
Flour tortillas
Butter, melted
Sour cream

Salsa:
1.Combine strawberries, pear, cilantro and honey in medium bowl; set aside.
Quesadillas:
1.Sprinkle 3 tb cheese on one half of each tortilla and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Fold tortilla over to create a half-moon.
2.Brush top of each folded tortilla with some of the melted butter. Grill or pan sear tortillas, buttered-side-down, in dry preheated skillet until light golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes.
3.Brush tops with remaining melted butter; turn and brown other sides. Remove to serving plate or platter. Cut each tortilla in half. Serve with remaining salsa and sour cream.

Y'all are so great!!! Ya know, I thought asking for ideas would make it easier but in reality it's making it harder! :LOL:

Mudbug, the Bloody Mary's are out. It's a Southern Baptist church. But I may have 1 or 2 before I go. :oops:

PA, here's my breakfast cookies. They are quiet diffrent from yours.

Breakfast Cookies

1/3C. butter or margarine
1/2C. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2tsp. vanilla
1/2C. flour
1/4tsp. baking soda
1/4tsp. salt
1 1/2C. quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2C. cheese, grated
5 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled

Cream butter, sugar, egg, & vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, & salt; stir into creamed mixture. Beat in oatmeal, cheese, & crumbled bacon. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 deg. for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yeah, I knew it would be, crewsk. Hubby was raised SB in an SB town, so I'm not surprised. Just my pagan invisible twin sister raising her head there for a minute.

How about breakfast empanadas?

3 cups plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 Spanish chorizo links (spicy dried pork sausage; 6 to 8 ounces), ground
1 onion, chopped
1 pound boiling potatoes such as Yukon Gold, peeled and shredded
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup grated queso blanco or Monterey Jack
8 frozen empanada or turnover wrappers, thawed
Accompaniments: bottled or homemade salsa verde and sour cream

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute chorizo and onion, stirring, until onion is softened. Add potatoes with salt and pepper to taste and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to turn golden brown, about 6 minutes. Stir in jalapenos, tomatoes, and cumin and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely. Stir in cilantro, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Roll out each empanada wrapper into a 6-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Put about 1/3 cup filling in center of each wrapper and form filling into a log. Moisten wrapper edges with a finger dipped in water and fold each wrapper over filling to form a half-moon. Press down around filling to force out air and seal by pressing edges together firmly with a fork. Heat remaining 3 cups oil in a deep 12-inch skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then fry empanadas in 3 batches, gently turning, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer empanadas to paper towels to drain.
Empanadas may be filled 1 day ahead and chilled in 1 layer on a lightly floured plate, covered. Reseal edges if necessary.

Or breakfast pizza?

1/4 cup cornmeal or all-purpose flour, for rolling dough
1 (4-inch) ball prepared dough, at room temperature
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, lightly packed
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
2 eggs, at room temperature
5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Lightly sprinkle work surface with cornmeal or flour. Place dough directly in the middle of the work surface. Roll dough out gently 1/4-inch thick, into either a 12-inch rectangle or circle. Brush both sides with olive oil and set aside until ready to grill.
If you are grilling on a charcoal grill, set coals on one side of the grill.

Place dough directly on the cooking grate over medium heat for 1 to 3 minutes, until the crust is well marked and browned. Flip dough and spread spinach evenly over cooked side of crust. Create a rim around the outer edge of the pizza with the tomato (this will keep the eggs from sliding off the pizza.) Sprinkle cheese over the spinach. Crack 2 eggs directly in the center of the pizza and top with crumbled bacon. Move to indirect heat (for charcoal: the side of charcoal grill that has no coals. For gas: turn off burner directly under pizza). Cover grill and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked like traditional sunny-side up eggs and the bottom of crust is well browned.

I found both of these on foodnetwork. They sound great.

what about cut up fruit, muffins, and bagels with assorted spreads. the fruit might be a little difficult since most things are out of season. costco has bags of frozen fruit that are not bad. i like the mini muffin idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom