Brief bulletin this year's harvest of main wines in Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was the Austrians that got into putting antifreeze in wine to up the sweetness, and only because sweeter wines were more sought after in the medal competition, didn't, and dj reston, an adulterated Austrian wine get a medal in a competition? I might be wrong on that.

GG wines are, I think, other than wholesale adulteration for a specific taste, trouble to adulterate or produce poorly. As someone who has made my own mead, and aged it, you mess up one particular in sterility, you get vinegar.

Now I can say that I'd expect blends of wines, and wine grapes, to come out of china, that don't mimic the orthodoxy of the wine world, where a grape and a region is an applation. I'm not sure that is a bad thing, or will result in a reduction of quality.

European wines are connected to an idea of terroir, the soil of the source. I think the market has shown there are blends that can take the best of different grape varietals, in different areas, and put them together in a good product. The California wine industry, to a lesser extent, which was modeled on the European industry, and does try to say what grapes are good in what areas, or wineries, or the Australian New Zealand, and Argentine wines, which tend to do more adventurous stuff.

I look forward to seeing some Chinese wines using grapes grown in China and European and American wine making techniques.

Iam curious as to where did China get their starter cuttings from? I doubt they were started from seed. Does anyone have any information? :angel:

Iam curious as to where did China get their starter cuttings from? I doubt they were started from seed. Does anyone have any information? :angel:

Well I graduated from Cornell in 1997, English Lit degree, and a number of my friends were in the hotel school, and immediately moved to China. I think there might have been some bleed of both cuttings and talent. I would say most of the cuttings are from California, but some from NY State, and China has good environment for vinyards of both. Expect them with good Rieslings, Sauternes, maybe Chardonay within a couple years. I wouldn't be surprised at other white varietals.

The award winner for single malt scotch this year is from Tiwann , for instance.

They could be bringing in plant material from anywhere. It could be 100% legitimate, or they could be smuggling cuttings out of other grape growing regions, which isn't as nefarious as it sounds. It's done all the time. Even grape growers in the US, South America, and Australia have smuggled cuttings out of European vineyards in the not-so-recent past.

One single grapevine can easily produce over 1,000 cuttings in a single season.

If the wines that China produces are intended for export, they'll have to conform to international standards. It's highly likely that a great of the production is intended for home consumption. The Chinese people are now quite western in their attitudes, but in any event, they're not an all-muslim country, and have already been producing wines for many centuries and are known to enjoy the odd glass or two or three. But the production of alcoholic beverages is strictly regulated world wide, and China - they're already producing wine - will be complying. We haven't heard of a scandal yet.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

We love Italian wines, mostly reds. Not knowing as much as I'd like, I tend to stick with wines and producers that suit my taste. Right now, our cellar has Angiuli Donato Primitivo Maccone, and Paitin Campolive, Barbera d'Alba, and Langhe Nebbiolo. We also drink lower-priced blends such as the Banfi Col di Sasso Toscano (great with red sauce dishes).

Lately, perhaps owing to the pandemic, Tannico, the Italian retailer I've ordered from, seems not to be shipping to the US. Is this a general problem? Can you suggest another supplier?

We love Italian wines, mostly reds. Not knowing as much as I'd like, I tend to stick with wines and producers that suit my taste. Right now, our cellar has Angiuli Donato Primitivo Maccone, and Paitin Campolive, Barbera d'Alba, and Langhe Nebbiolo. We also drink lower-priced blends such as the Banfi Col di Sasso Toscano (great with red sauce dishes).

Lately, perhaps owing to the pandemic, Tannico, the Italian retailer I've ordered from, seems not to be shipping to the US. Is this a general problem? Can you suggest another supplier?
This thread is five years old and di hasn't been around much lately.

Man, how do you manage to find all these old threads? Good advice is always appreciated. ;)

Man, how do you manage to find all these old threads? Good advice is always appreciated. ;)

Having been on more active forums where only the recent posts appear, I'm not used to having a post several years old at the top of a list. But a mod advised me to look at the date before replying.

Doesn't matter if you post on an old thread. Actually brings back a lot of memories for some. People can update and/or add to.

Date only matters if you mistakenly think it is current and expect an answer. No harm in posting your own thoughts.

I've read thru some pretty old (and long) posts and enjoyed thoroughly.

Doesn't matter if you post on an old thread. Actually brings back a lot of memories for some. People can update and/or add to.

Date only matters if you mistakenly think it is current and expect an answer. No harm in posting your own thoughts.

I've read thru some pretty old (and long) posts and enjoyed thoroughly.
He did ask a question of the OP, which is why I answered :)

Looking at the names of members is like a walk down memory lane too, dragn. Sometimes I wonder why regulars no longer visit. Other times we all know why they're gone.

Looking at the names of members is like a walk down memory lane too, dragn. Sometimes I wonder why regulars no longer visit. Other times we all know why they're gone.

Exactly, even though I've not been here that long, it's amazing how some of those names can invoke memories.

Back
Top Bottom