Browning Bulk Burger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fadednewbie

Assistant Cook
Has anyone prepared bulk Hamburger commercially? I have been preparing 10-20 lbs of burger at a time by boiling it and it works pretty well but I am always fighting clumps and spend much time chopping it up. is there a trick that restaurants use as it always seems to be super fine chopped? it could be they run it through some kind of processor afterwards but I am looking for input. Thanks

What are you using it for? Why are you boiling versus browning it? I'd say clumps just need to be addressed by stirring either while cooking or after you drain it. Maybe let it cool, put on gloves, and break them up with your fingers?

I use it for all sorts of things usually process a large qty. then freeze in smaller batches as ready to go Taco meat or spaghetti meat etc. I do it in a stock pot because it would take forever to brown that much at a time in a fry pan and it is way lower in fat when boiled.

I see. In that case I think the cooling method and breaking apart with your fingers may work the best. I've never had a reason to cook that much at one time. Hopefully come Monday there will be someone who does this amount come along and give you some "expert" advice! :chef:

Browing meat

I learned a long time ago. When the recipe calls for BROWNED meat, that is what it means.
Making a dish with hambuger,I have found the finished product to have a much better flavor if it is browne rather than GRAYED!

Charlie

I agree Hungry. And the restaurant I cooked in...we simply cooked what we needed. VERY few things were frozen and nothing was prepared ahead of time like this. It seems like you may be saving time, but, you are actually compromising flavor instead.

Do you work in a restaurant or is this just for home use? If it's for home use I'd try browning smaller quantities at a time THEN freezing.

I would suggest putting it in the pot with enough cold water to cover it, and break it up before cooking it. Then add the rest of the water and cook.

This is how a lot of Greek style chili recipes start, and it produces a very fine texture.

Back
Top Bottom