Building my UDS ------ Finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Max are the eye bolts you are using for grate supports galvanized? If so check with BW, I think he once told me you don't want anything galvanized in the cooker. May be wrong, but check with him if they are.

Nope brother they are stainless, yeah I think I have had that talk with someone before, but thanks for the concern....

That red liner is stuck on there very good. I burned mine out and it came off
for the most part. A lot of people grind it completely off.

I burned the red liner out of mine too. It took about 8 hours of high heat to do it. After I did that, I took it for a high pressure wash to get the rest of it out. After that I seasoned it, that took about 14 hours, which after it got all cooled down, I smoked one of our thanksgiving turkeys in it. :P

Have to get the pictures off my phone, and will post them up.

Well I have some more pictures. Just a few though. Thought you peeps would like to see my charcoal holder for me UDS.

Here it is almost done.
26.jpg

Here it is after I got it all put together.
27.jpg

Here is my drum for the first burn in.
28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Here are a few pics of our turkey I smoked for Thanksgiving.
31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

I have a few alterations that I plan on doing here shortly. Handles for one, I just did not have the time to put them on. Paint will have to wait for next year, but I got a really goo price on some high temp engine paint from Auto Zone. So I picked it up.

Wow..fine job Sir. Great photo documentation. You could get a gig with the Medical Examiners office (CSI for them who watches TV too much) any old day..Popular Mechanics etc. Now in the ME job it is nice to not have a good sense of smell. The best one I ever knew had no ability to smell anything. We'uns highly admire your ability to multitask such as working and taking pics all at once. Thought only wimmen knew how to do that stuff..lol. Shows whut I know huh? Fine looking cooking apparatus shaping up before our eyes.

Hold on we are looking for somebody who has watched those movies. I would vote for the superiority of the Navy Folks. My left wing big brudder was the dah diddy dah man on the Oriskany..which unless they pitching heat on the Military Channel is now the worlds biggest artificial fish reef. He say the nicest looking wimmen is in Spain and try to get out of Manila before the Portugese Navy hits town and makes the ladies get contaigous. Let us know whut you know. Thanks.

(Bump)

Just a reminder, this is an on going project for me. This weekend, I plan on installing a few new small modifications to my UDS.

Modification 1.
Put some handles on, simple but needed.

Modification 2.
Adding some eye hooks, so I have more than one bar for when I smoke bacon. In all 3 will be used.

Modification 3.
Adding some casters to the bottom, so it is easier to move around.

All in all, should only run about $25 for all the hardware. Most expensive being the casters.

It's not done yet Cliff, but thanks. More pictures are on the way. Did not get to work on it this weekend, had a family emergency.

"Bump"
Just wanted to let everyone that this is still an ongoing project for me. I have been out in my Man Cave #2 working on things as of lately. I have gotten some pictures that I am going to post up here. A few to do with this project, and a few to do with another project, that is if anyone cares to see them.....

But now I must go! To the Bat Cave!

Yes..this "another project" thing is very mysterious. Tell us about it and let us see some photos. Do folks blowing he whistle get any kind of reward money? Having multiple man caves sounds special. Thanks.

I know that this is kinda long awaited. I have busy lol. So with out anymore a due. I just got finished with a few modifications that I was talking about doing months ago.

1. I wanted a bit more rigidity for my inlet pipe. Everytime someone touched the damn thing it would fall over. So I went to my local hardware and spent a whole $1.50.

img_260598_0_25e2f67f6b8038f94b0fbd4dcb67d072.jpg

img_260598_1_2042ea1b685bddcc4fac949694496df6.jpg

2. Handles, wow I am sick of trying to lift this thing when it is hot.

img_260598_2_95f3b2dca760b2079b46a510d57ac764.jpg

img_260598_3_9ada8243dadaafcc5be73c4d490de920.jpg

3. Finally I got me some casters and put them on here so I can push it around if needed.

img_260598_4_0a39a25d466e6a97c84a5393a0c7fc68.jpg

img_260598_5_ea1b7e3ea95505287762295808a996df.jpg

img_260598_6_f925f982dae2e46152749ff6fefa4708.jpg

Here it is completed as of right now. I still need to hit it with some paint.

img_260598_7_bf72568c4bcdca3be098c35862c06892.jpg

Back
Top Bottom