Burnt Marshmallow Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I think I've posted this before.

Burnt Marshmallow Cookies

All right. Now some of you are going to say "You're a madman!" with this one, while some of you will say "You're a genius!" It all depends on whether you have fond memories of burning marshmallows over a campfire as a child. I have those memories.

This recipe is for those who loved blackening, then munching flaming marshmallows as a child. Light some pine incense to make this even better.

This cookie tastes just like burnt marshmallows and is especially good when dipped in milk. I made them as an experiment, trying to see if sugar cookies could be cooked on a griddle. The answer is, absolutely not, unless you like burnt marshmallows that is. Here's how you make 'em.

Ingredients:
1 cube unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup white sugar
1tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg

Combine sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla. Stir with a whisk until well combined. Add the remaining ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until blended.

Heat griddle to medium (same temperature that you'd cook pancakes at). Place two tbs. of the cookie dough onto the griddle. You can make larger or smaller as you desire. Cook on one side until lightly scorched. Turn over and cook until again slightly scorched. Remove to a plate. Repeat until all of the cookie dough is used up. Serve with ice cold milk.

These cookies are impossible to flip until the sugar caramelizes and scorches, giving the cooked surface sufficient body to hold the cookie together. That's how I ended up scorching them. And you know me, I just have this rule. If I make it, I have to at least try it. I did so and was amazed that the burnt cookie tasted just like those marshmallows that I used to flame in the campfires of my early years. But the bonus is that there is no ash to float into the "wrong hole", and make you cough like crazy.

I'm looking forward to seeing what responses I get to this one. I think I must be a bit crazy to post it. But you no what they say, "No guts, no glory"

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom