Butter instead of shortening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You bet it is. The only difference will be the texture of the final product. Butter melts quicker than shortening so the brownie will likely be denser. I personally use butter only in my brownies. Yum! You have me craving them now! Welcome to DC.

OMG! I am going to make corazon's double decker brownies now that you have mentioned that. Butterscotch on the bottom and chocolate on top!

You bet it is. The only difference will be the texture of the final product. Butter melts quicker than shortening so the brownie will likely be denser. I personally use butter only in my brownies. Yum! You have me craving them now! Welcome to DC.
Butter also has a better flavor, of course.

Works the other way, too -- you can generally substitute shortening for butter in most recipes, if you don't mind the loss of flavor. I seem to recall reading that shortening makes for crisper cookies, but I can't swear to that because I've never done any side-by-side comparisons.

I made the brownies with butter...they just came out of the oven...burnt my mouth thanks to my lack of patience...but i must say my daughter is gonna love it !!...thanks for the advice...if you wanna try the recipe out its at butterscotchcookies.com website.

thanks...that makes a lot of sense...its a butterscotch brownie by the way....

OMG! I am going to make corazon's double decker brownies now that you have mentioned that. Butterscotch on the bottom and chocolate on top!
recipes please.

i like to go 1/2 and 1/2 somtimes but i use butter flavored shortening.

i like the texture of the half and half in my baking powder biscuits which come out flaky and tender (i also add a pinch of baking soda)

Back
Top Bottom