Butternut Squash Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obillo

Senior Cook
Hard to cut, hard to peel, hard to seed. To cut (crosswise) I help the knife along by poundings on its spine. Not with a hammer or a bare pal, but with a garage mechanic's 1-pound rubber mallet. It delivers force w/no damage. It has a short handle (ca. 8"), making it easy to stow, and it cost $3 from Harbor Freight (I bought at the store, not online, to save shipping.) Similar mallets are available from Amazon and Home Depot, but they commonly have inconvenient 16-inch handles and cost twice as much or more.To seed I used to struggle with a melon baller--fine for apples but too small for squash. I have since had great success with an ice-cream scoop--the fancy, all-metal kind with spring-loaded handles. The scoop section has a good cutting edge and squeezing the handles helps to dump the seeds. For cutting, I've been told to cut the squash crosswise in three section and peel them separately. Haven't tried it yet but it seems like a good idea.

I cut them in sections. What sections depends on the specific squash. Sometimes I will shave off the rind with a knife rather than peel, again depending on shape.

Seeding, I use a regular metal soup spoon. Work pretty well, mostly scraping the mesh and seeds away from the flesh.

As to cooking, it's quite bland and watery so I tend to use it in heavily seasoned things like curry or steamed with garlic, ginger and chinese fermented black beans.

I look for small butternut squash and cut them into 1”-11/2” thick slices then peel each slice with a vegetable pepper or paring knife.

I’ve never tried baking them whole, but if it works for Jamie Oliver it should work for the rest of us.

Method. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Wash and dry the whole squash, then place on a baking tray. Pierce once or twice with the tip of a sharp knife, then bake in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until golden and very soft.

Once purchased a huge winter squash. Bumpy skin, dark green, flattened pumpkin type shape - thought it was a Hubbard squash but can't find a picture. The ones they show now-a-days are whitish green with pointy ends.
This thing was so big even my Mr Muscleman husband was struggling. So I took it out into the back yard, dropped it standing on the seat of a chair onto the patio... nothing. Got the axe. That worked.
Although I saw it many times after - never purchased again. LOL

and now in recent years (30?) have never seen them big like that anymore!

Good tip on the rubber hammer obillo - had one of those for my plaster molds, works like a charm.

Once purchased a huge winter squash. Bumpy skin, dark green, flattened pumpkin type shape - thought it was a Hubbard squash but can't find a picture. The ones they show now-a-days are whitish green with pointy ends.
This thing was so big even my Mr Muscleman husband was struggling. So I took it out into the back yard, dropped it standing on the seat of a chair onto the patio... nothing. Got the axe. That worked.
Although I saw it many times after - never purchased again. LOL

and now in recent years (30?) have never seen them big like that anymore!
We used to bake sections of those big old blue hubbard squash to make our pumpkin pies and yes we mangled them with a rusty old axe in order to break them into manageable sections.

Last edited:
Way too much effort.

I bake butternut squash whole on a foil lined cookie sheet. When it's done, I split it down the middle, scoop out the guts with a serving spoon then scoop the cooked flesh into a mixing bowl where I add salt, pepper and butter and mash it all with a big fork. Sometimes I also add cinnamon or brown sugar.

Back
Top Bottom