Buy early for Thanksgiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes! Typo!!! LOL.
Gotcha. And thanks, CG <waves>

Cookiecrafter, other countries have harvest celebrations, but they don't call it Thanksgiving. And it was Abraham Lincoln who issued the first proclamation of Thanksgiving and set it as the last Thursday in November (it was changed to the fourth Thursday later). From "Lincoln and Thanksgiving" by the National Park Service:

In July 1863, the Battle of Gettysburg resulted in more than 50,000 American casualties. Despite these losses, the United States gained a great victory during these three days. On October 3, 1863, with this victory in mind, as well as its cost, President Lincoln issued a proclamation:

"I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, …to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving... And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him …, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility and Union."

This proclamation is viewed as the beginning of the national holiday of Thanksgiving Day.

It goes on to describe how the whole idea was inspired by Sarah Josepha Hale, as I mentioned earlier.

Since we all speaking about TG here and getting ready ahead of time, let me ask you a question. Would it be a crime if I just cook a whole chicken instead of turkey for two of us? Nobody is home, just my wife and I, (or is it me?).

Cheapo store brand turkeys were on sale today for 89¢/Lb. so I picked up a 13-pound turkey to break down. It's thawing in the fridge and will be broken down for future meals and bones etc. for stock for Thanksgiving cooking.

I think people who live in warm climates grill on Thanksgiving. Folks roaming about looking for Pre-Black Friday sales grab drive-thru meals.

People holding "Work for Food" scam signs are inking their cardboard early!

Hello, we don't eat meat/turkey anymore but we have this casserole we love. It's layers of mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes, and a stuffing layer, some cranberry sauce, served with a mushroom gravy and that says Thanksgiving here. It would be good WITH a turkey, if you were say, traveling to someone else's home.
thanksgiving-casserole-vert-plated-cranberry-top-broccoli-side.jpg

Two days ago Aldi's (in north America) put out a press release that they will bring their prices down to 2019 prices for the upcoming thanksgiving celebration. Check out your aldi's if you have those near you. It's good news.

I went to Krogers today and they were still selling their store brand whole turkeys for $1.99/lb.

They say that the bird flu is wreaking havoc on egg and poultry production this year.

I went to Krogers today and they were still selling their store brand whole turkeys for $1.99/lb.

They say that the bird flu is wreaking havoc on egg and poultry production this year.
Someone told me about high priced eggs at Walmart. I just assumed the price of turkeys was year-round price.

I saw nothing as far as deals in the ads for next week, in the mail for next week. But then, I remember last year the family I had Thanksgiving with last year said they weren't going to have turkey this year - it seemed more didn't like turkey than did, so I'll find out if they've changed their minds! I'll find out what they want me to make - I'm always the one to make sweets, or some of them at least.

I saw nothing as far as deals in the ads for next week, in the mail for next week. But then, I remember last year the family I had Thanksgiving with last year said they weren't going to have turkey this year - it seemed more didn't like turkey than did, so I'll find out if they've changed their minds! I'll find out what they want me to make - I'm always the one to make sweets, or some of them at least.
I know many people who are bummed out on turkey and turkey leftovers. Some just love the sides and desserts. Lots of folks just want to be with family. We always have beefy burgers on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom