By Request, Antelope Gyros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
That was supposed to be Antelope Gyros. I hope the mods can fix the title.

I used antelope, ground with bacon. You can substitute with lamb, mutton, lamb, and beef, or beef and pork. It will come out great with any of those meats, even venison.

The antelope was ground at 2 parts antelope, 1 part bacon. for the gyro meat, the recipe was:

½Onion, cut into 4 pieces
2 lbs. ground antelope
1 tbs. Garlic, minced
1 tbs. Dried oregano
1 tbs. Ground cumin
1 tbs. Garlic powder
2 tsp. Ground dried thyme
1 tbs. black peppercorns
1 tsp. Salt
2 tbs. Olive oil

Make sure the meat is ice cold. Combine all ingredients until evenly distributed. Run meat mixture through the smallest plate of your meat grinder. Work the result into a thick paste.

Most online tutorials have you place the meat mixture into a food processor, and run until an emulsified meat paste is formed, like for a hot dog. I don't have access to a food processor, so I used my grinder. It worked out very well.

Butter the inside of a loaf pan. Put the meat into the pan, pressing it with wet hands to remove any air pockets, and forming a flat, smooth top.. Bake at 300' F. for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven.

At this point, I covered the outside of a 2nd loaf pan with foil, placed it on top of my cooked loaf, and placed a cast iron Dutch oven on top to weight it down.

Pita pockets:
3 cups AP flor
1.5 tsp. salt
2 tbs. SAF Red yeast.
2 tbs. olive oil
1.25 cups water.

Mix into smooth dough, kneading for 7 minutes. Cover and let rise to double volume. Remove from bowl, punch it down. and form into an smooth dome. Cut into 8 equal portions. Roll out each portion into a thin disk, about 8 inches around. Pre-heat oven to 450' F. with the baking pan in the oven. When hot, take two pita disks and place onto hot baking sheet. Place into the oven and bake for 4 minutes. Remove and stack on round plate. Cover to prevent them from drying out. Repeat until all pita rounds are baked. Make Tzatziki Sauce and lightly fry slices of gyro meat. Serve and let everyone make their own gyros.

Tzatziki Sauce:
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbs. lemon juice
1 English cucumber, washed, seeded, finely chopped
1 small dill pickle, minced {didn't have any dill weed. Had to get creative)

Combine all ingredients. Chill for an hour. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom