CA - Los Angeles, San Diego ... need SoCal help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tried to leave a reply the other night but when I went to post the site was down.

Anyway, What can I take into the park as far as drinks and food goes? I had a friend that said he could take in small bags of chips but no pringles can. What about water bottles? And how can I keep these beverages cool? How big are the lockers? just like High School but only a few feet tall?

We are taking the 2 y/o and I would like to keep him in the shade a lot. Is there any umbrellas I can hook to the stroller provided by DL? Is there many activities or attractions that are out of the sun that one of us could do with him while the others are on rides?

The park says it opens at 8:30 - I have not been to an amusement park for ages - I am worried that the kids will be worn out by the time night falls and the parades start (Do I have that right?) Do they just run at night? I think that will be around 9 or so at night.

I guess I am just worried that the kids will be awnry by the end of the day and we wont be their for the night activities. Any way to make sure this doesnt happen?

REMEMBER - I have neve been to DL before so I have NO IDEA what I am in for.

We got set up for the Castle Inn & Suites that (I guess) is across the street. Hope it is nice!

Thanks for all your help it has been very useful!!!!

Tried to leave a reply the other night but when I went to post the site was down.

Anyway, What can I take into the park as far as drinks and food goes? I had a friend that said he could take in small bags of chips but no pringles can. What about water bottles? And how can I keep these beverages cool? How big are the lockers? just like High School but only a few feet tall?

We are taking the 2 y/o and I would like to keep him in the shade a lot. Is there any umbrellas I can hook to the stroller provided by DL? Is there many activities or attractions that are out of the sun that one of us could do with him while the others are on rides?

The park says it opens at 8:30 - I have not been to an amusement park for ages - I am worried that the kids will be worn out by the time night falls and the parades start (Do I have that right?) Do they just run at night? I think that will be around 9 or so at night.

I guess I am just worried that the kids will be awnry by the end of the day and we wont be their for the night activities. Any way to make sure this doesnt happen?

We got set up for the Castle Inn & Suites that (I guess) is across the street. Hope it is nice!

Thanks for all your help it has been very useful!!!!

You can bring in your own food and drinks at Disneyland (which kind of surprises me because Disney is not exactly known for their generous nature). Lots of folks carry everything in backpacks.

There is lots of shady areas around the entrances and exits of most attractions. And they are called attractions. There is only one "ride" at Disneyland. Can anyone name it?

If you go when they first open and stay all day, the kids will definitely be tuckered out before the parades and fireworks. You may want to take a break in the middle of the day and leave the park for a while. You can get you hands stamped when you leave.

Don't miss Indiana Jones, Big Thunder Mountain and Finding Nemo Submarine Adventure. I was the project manager for the company that built all of the rockwork and waterfalls for Nemo and it is a great attraction.

There is the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, which is very close to the Queen Mary too. Long Beach is about midway between the L.A. airport and Disneyland.

Hope this helps.

A couple of photos of the construction of Finding Nemo:

Attachments

• disneynemoconstructionpics 001.jpg
    disneynemoconstructionpics 001.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Nemo Construction 013.jpg
    Nemo Construction 013.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 198
  • Nemo Construction 039.jpg
    Nemo Construction 039.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 193
NAchef, my husband and I took our grandkids to Disneyland a couple of times. We lived in San Diego at the time. When you enter the park your hand is stamped so your pass is good for the entire day. Sometimes the park is open til 1 A.M. so we left the park around 3:00 in the afternoon, went back to our motel and all took a nap. We went back into the park around 6:00 P.M and stayed til they just about had to throw us out. :rolleyes:

A lot goes on at night so if you can take that nap you still have plenty of time to do all there is to do without the kids being overtired. Don't try to rush through the park, you'll only wind up being stressed out. If you can't get into a ride or attraction, see it at night when the crowds have thinned out. The later it gets the fewer people are in the park, We saved Pirates of the Carribean, The Haunted House, and a couple of other very popular rides til 10 or 11 at night. No waiting and you can get right back on and ride it again.

I have to warn you about Indiana Jones, There is a sign with a disclaimer next to the ride. It is extremely intense and you are in total darkness for quite a while. My grandkids were terrified, and I was very uncomfortable. You do what you think is best.

As for the California Adventure we loved it even though we lived in California. Before we went to DL it was highly recommended by my friends and neighbors who had all been to see it. It gives you a whole new perspective on what California is all about and there are some interesting rides for you and the kids.

Be sure to bring a change of clothes and don't miss Splash Mountain. My grandkids 6 and 10, rode it 4 times in a row. They were soaked and we bought them shirts and shorts. Bring your own, because the ride is sooooo worth it.

You seem to be stressing out about this trip. Just go, see what there is to do and make your decisions when you're there. Too much planning can ruin the sponteneity of the trip. If you can go to a library or a bookstore get a book on Disneyland attractions and read up on it. Look at their website but don't sweat the small stuff. Go and have a great time.

Be sure to see Legoland just a few miles away in Carlsbad. You will be astounded at what can be done with Legos. All of the attractions are made of Legos and the kids will have great time driving their own cars around a track and taking part in the "make your own thing with Legos" that is a big feature there. The kids sit at huge tables filled with tons of Legos and accessories and do their own thing. Good time for mom and dad to sit and watch while having a cup of coffee or whatever.

The park-rented strollers have awnings on them :). You must get there really early, though, as once they've out of strollers, you're out of luck. Also, I'd recommend purchasing your tickets online, so you have them in your hand, which will save a long time in the ticket line. That way, you'll only wait in the long admission line. One plus is that all the employees are very helpful and very friendly. Ask questions!

As for your little one, I'd suggest that either you or your wife take him/her on "It's a small world" while the other takes the older children on surrounding rides. Small World has a line, but there is shade in most of it, and the ride takes almost 12 minutes. I don't know any 2-year old who wouldn't love it. Also good for little ones: Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, Alice in Wonderland, Even being a passenger on the Autopia is fun. Things to avoid with the little one: Haunted Mansion, Snow White, Pinocchio (all for the too-scary-for-little-ones factor) Also, the Enchanted Tiki Room will probably be a bit scary too - it's really sweet till the thunder storm begins and the natives and tiki poles start chanting too loud.

Another thing to check- go on Disneyland's website for height restrictions. Measure your kids carefully, because you don't want to get them all excited for something....then have the nice man tell them they can't go on the ride(!)

Dramaqueen had it right - it's what we did with the kids as well - we'd go for a while, then go back to the hotel for naps, then back to the park. Always good for a 2-day stay. Warning - the Fantasia show may be too intense for your kids - really. But on the plus side, while it's going on, the lines for rides will be diminished. Speaking of too intense, again Dramaqueen gets another gold star. While I love the Indiana Jones ride, I kept my kids off of it till they were 11 or 12. Besides what was mentioned, there was a safety issue (you can google it) about the severe shaking that goes on during the entire ride.
It's Disneyland. They'll really want to stay awake. There's so much to see and do - they will get awnry when it's time to leave!
Bring your camera and every memory stick you have for it. You will get the best photos ever! There's even "Kodak photo spots" that tell you where to stand for the best pictures.

We've stayed in different hotels in the area, including that one. I'm sure they've upgraded since our stay a dozen years ago. At the time, it was cute on the outside and really bad on the inside. We actually didn't sleep there because it was so icky. The castle says it's "across the street", but that is like saying that a football field is a mere few steps. Keep in mind that some of the hotels in the surrounding area have a free tram to Disney.

Last edited:
NAchef, my husband and I took our grandkids to Disneyland a couple of times. We lived in San Diego at the time. When you enter the park your hand is stamped so your pass is good for the entire day. Sometimes the park is open til 1 A.M. so we left the park around 3:00 in the afternoon, went back to our motel and all took a nap. We went back into the park around 6:00 P.M and stayed til they just about had to throw us out. :rolleyes:

A lot goes on at night so if you can take that nap you still have plenty of time to do all there is to do without the kids being overtired. Don't try to rush through the park, you'll only wind up being stressed out. If you can't get into a ride or attraction, see it at night when the crowds have thinned out. The later it gets the fewer people are in the park, We saved Pirates of the Carribean, The Haunted House, and a couple of other very popular rides til 10 or 11 at night. No waiting and you can get right back on and ride it again.

I have to warn you about Indiana Jones, There is a sign with a disclaimer next to the ride. It is extremely intense and you are in total darkness for quite a while. My grandkids were terrified, and I was very uncomfortable. You do what you think is best.

As for the California Adventure we loved it even though we lived in California. Before we went to DL it was highly recommended by my friends and neighbors who had all been to see it. It gives you a whole new perspective on what California is all about and there are some interesting rides for you and the kids.

Be sure to bring a change of clothes and don't miss Splash Mountain. My grandkids 6 and 10, rode it 4 times in a row. They were soaked and we bought them shirts and shorts. Bring your own, because the ride is sooooo worth it.

You seem to be stressing out about this trip. Just go, see what there is to do and make your decisions when you're there. Too much planning can ruin the sponteneity of the trip. If you can go to a library or a bookstore get a book on Disneyland attractions and read up on it. Look at their website but don't sweat the small stuff. Go and have a great time.

Be sure to see Legoland just a few miles away in Carlsbad. You will be astounded at what can be done with Legos. All of the attractions are made of Legos and the kids will have great time driving their own cars around a track and taking part in the "make your own thing with Legos" that is a big feature there. The kids sit at huge tables filled with tons of Legos and accessories and do their own thing. Good time for mom and dad to sit and watch while having a cup of coffee or whatever.

Thanks

My son and I went to Legoland a few years ago and it was fun.
I am stressing a little but I think going back to the Hotel and taking a nap is a good idea.

After DL we will be going to Seaworld, should be lots of fun.

Thanks again for the ideas

The park-rented strollers have awnings on them :). You must get there really early, though, as once they've out of strollers, you're out of luck. Also, I'd recommend purchasing your tickets online, so you have them in your hand, which will save a long time in the ticket line. That way, you'll only wait in the long admission line. One plus is that all the employees are very helpful and very friendly. Ask questions!

As for your little one, I'd suggest that either you or your wife take him/her on "It's a small world" while the other takes the older children on surrounding rides. Small World has a line, but there is shade in most of it, and the ride takes almost 12 minutes. I don't know any 2-year old who wouldn't love it. Also good for little ones: Dumbo, Jungle Cruise, Alice in Wonderland, Even being a passenger on the Autopia is fun. Things to avoid with the little one: Haunted Mansion, Snow White, Pinocchio (all for the too-scary-for-little-ones factor) Also, the Enchanted Tiki Room will probably be a bit scary too - it's really sweet till the thunder storm begins and the natives and tiki poles start chanting too loud.

Another thing to check- go on Disneyland's website for height restrictions. Measure your kids carefully, because you don't want to get them all excited for something....then have the nice man tell them they can't go on the ride(!)

Dramaqueen had it right - it's what we did with the kids as well - we'd go for a while, then go back to the hotel for naps, then back to the park. Always good for a 2-day stay. Warning - the Fantasia show may be too intense for your kids - really. But on the plus side, while it's going on, the lines for rides will be diminished. Speaking of too intense, again Dramaqueen gets another gold star. While I love the Indiana Jones ride, I kept my kids off of it till they were 11 or 12. Besides what was mentioned, there was a safety issue (you can google it) about the severe shaking that goes on during the entire ride.

It's Disneyland. They'll really want to stay awake. There's so much to see and do - they will get awnry when it's time to leave!

Bring your camera and every memory stick you have for it. You will get the best photos ever! There's even "Kodak photo spots" that tell you where to stand for the best pictures.

We've stayed in different hotels in the area, including that one. I'm sure they've upgraded since our stay a dozen years ago. At the time, it was cute on the outside and really bad on the inside. We actually didn't sleep there because it was so icky. The castle says it's "across the street", but that is like saying that a football field is a mere few steps. Keep in mind that some of the hotels in the surrounding area have a free tram to Disney.

Thanks

I did see it was about a half mile to get to DL from the Hotel so i knew it was a little off, but at least its not 10 miles.

We did get our tickets online and I think they may have arrived, either that or we just give them names when we get there, not sure what the wife said. :LOL:

Great info on the rides and checking height. I will do that and maybe make some kind of list of rides they can take and ones they cant.

Thanks again!!

One more fun things for the older kids - (mine loved it, and still do it whenever we go)...look for hidden mickeys. Disney has a MANY hidden mickeys all over the park, and even in California Adventure. A hidden mickey is something that is in the exact shape of mickey's head. For example, in the Haunted Mansion, there is a dinner plate with two dessert plates placed just above it. Or, on Soaring over California, as you "soar" over Disneyland at night, the fireworks make a perfect mickey.
Here's a site with more info: Hidden Mickeys of Disneyland, California

Interesting trivia about Disneyland. When they were first building Disneyland back in the '50's, that area was mostly orange groves and nothing else. Disney was asked by the city what address they would like and Disney told them 1313 Harbor Blvd. The significance? 13th letter of the alphabet is M, so 1313 = MM = Mickey Mouse.

okay - I didn't know that one, Sedagive! very cool - you're getting karma for that one.

NAchef - here's something to look for - it's easy to find, too. When you go through the Sleeping Beauty Castle (which takes you into tomorrowland), look down. You'll see a golden spike in the ground. It's the spike Walt himself pounded into the ground for the groundbreaking ceremony. At the time, it was the exact center of the park.

You can bring in your own food and drinks at Disneyland (which kind of surprises me because Disney is not exactly known for their generous nature). Lots of folks carry everything in backpacks...
It has been several years since I have been, but this is new since then. You used to have to leave things like that in a locker, then you could eat in a picnic area just outside the gates (I guess you had to get your hand stamped to get back in).

:)Barbara

Thanks for all the help but it looks like things have changed and we wont be going. I have to cancel the tix and pay the fee but oh well. Life throws you some curve balls sometimes.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Thanks for all the help but it looks like things have changed and we wont be going. I have to cancel the tix and pay the fee but oh well. Life throws you some curve balls sometimes.

Oh no!! Nothing like a wrench in the gears, huh? I hate that!!

I'm sorry! Would there be any way you could postpone and possibly not have to lose the money for the tickets?

:(Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom