Cabbage & Noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAYT721

Senior Cook
CABBAGE & NOODLES

1 head firm green cabbage
1 med. onion
1/2 c. butter, margarine or oil
2 tsp. salt
1 lb. broad noodles
Pepper

Grate cabbage and onion. Toss cabbage, onion and 2 teaspoons salt together in bowl. Let stand about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 3 quarts water in kettle. When water boils, add noodles and cook until barely tender. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Heat oil, butter or margarine in skillet. Squeeze liquid from cabbage-onion mixture and place in skillet. Add pepper. Saute, stirring with wooden spoon, until golden brown. Combine noodles and cabbage- onion mixture in kettle. Heat on low flame, tossing occasionally with spoon.

Hmmm... Dunno...

I thought "Cabbage & Noodles" was either a Polish or Hungarian dish. I don't really know who to thank for this inexpensive yet tasty side dish. Anyone??? /rayt721

my girlfriends is from pittsburg this was the first time id eaten it damn good stuff , great for that heartattack im workin on too :D kaluski its polish.

This is a really good dish. Its very polish as well. A little apple vineger for nice balance

This goes well with Pot Pie noodles as well, or some toughside shitzle.

i have a chinese cabbage and noodle.

Well i think its cabbage maybe lettuce, but
you cook some rice chinese noodles in water take it out and cook some of the cabbage in water take it out then take out a pan and throw in noodles and cabbage into the pan with oil then cook then when done add soy sauce and some chopped green onions to it and a dash of seaseme oil

to Lyn 221 -
when my baba made halushki, she used drop dumplings, not noodles
[ half spoons of dough dropped into boiling water ]

and to comissaryqueen -
use dry cottage cheese - unless you want a moist mess
:)
now my mouth is watering

There is a similar dish from nortern Italy called Pizzocheri di Teglio. It uses buckwheat noodles (you will have to make them yourself), an equal amount of potato to the cabbage, is spread with pieces of talegio and is then baked.

A winter dish, it is surprisingly light, but also satisfying.

I suspect it could be adapted to diet by removing the potato and substituting the talegio with something less fat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom