Cake Walk Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
We are having a cake walk at my church on the 29th & I have been asked to bake a cake. I thought about doing a pumpkin crunch cake(I posted the recipe on here. So, it's down below here somewhere). But, I would like some other suggestions or ideas. I just don't know what I want to make! Thanks for any & all help!

If you're not looking for anything fancy, I really recommend this recipe. I've posted it on another topic here before, so it's a repeat, but I love it. It travels really well, so it's good for your needs, and tastes wonderful (I love ginger!).

Ginger Cake

1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1/4 cup grated fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons confectioners'
sugar for dusting

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease
and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan. Sift together the flour,
baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
2 In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown
sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a
time, then stir in the grated ginger root and vanilla. Beat
in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing
just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3 Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or
until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes
out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out
onto a serving plate. Dust lightly with confectioners'
sugar before serving.

I love ginger, and using fresh in baking is a wonderful thing- ever try the marian cunningham ginger muffins? you can find the recipe @williams-sonoma.com
When I saw cakewalk I had a flashback to my school days, and for some reason the huge white/coconut cake that was in the cakewalk. I found a recipe for one, have yet to try it as I let the coconut spoil and haven't remembered to buy some more. It was on food finds, and had 8 layers! It's on www.epicurious.com- called giant coconut cake. I read the reviews and they added some steps that were on the tv program, but not revealed in the gourmet recipe from the resturant... If I ever get out from in front of this computer, I'll give it a whirl. Let you know.

Well as far as I know people will be standing in a circle on numbers, & the cakes will have corresponding numbers on them. Music will be playing as you walk around the circle of numbers & when it is stopped, you stop on a number. If the number you are standing on is drawn from the hat, you get the cake with the corresponding number.

crewsk said:
Well as far as I know people will be standing in a circle on numbers, & the cakes will have corresponding numbers on them. Music will be playing as you walk around the circle of numbers & when it is stopped, you stop on a number. If the number you are standing on is drawn from the hat, you get the cake with the corresponding number.
Is this repeated so that it is theoretically possible for one person to get all the cakes? Do the recipients necessarily know who baked their cake?

It is repeated until all the cakes are gone. If you get a cake you leave the walk until either the cakes are all gone or everyone has a cake. If everyone gets a cake & there are stil some left, it starts over again. As far as knowing who baked the cakes goes, I have seen it where you don't know who baked it or what kind of cake it is or where each cake is labeled with the bakes name & the name of the cake, That just depends on what the person organizing the walk wants to do.

Here are some family favorites. You might also like the Cranberry Upside Down Gingerbread that I posted on the 'cranberry' thread.

Maple Pecan Cake
3/4 c Pure maple syrup
1/4 c Butter, unsalted
1/4 c Dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 c Pecans, coursely chopped
2 1/2 c AP flour
1 ts Baking soda
1 pn Salt
1/2 c Butter, unsalted, room temp
3/4 c Sugar
2 Eggs, room temp
1 ts Vanilla
1 ts Grated lemon peel
1 c Plain yogurt
3/4 c Dried currants (can use raisins)

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter 10 in cake pan with high sides.
1Heat syrup, 1/4 cup butter, and brown sugar heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil. Pour into prepared buttered pan. Sprinkle with pecans.
2.Sift flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
3.Cream 1/2 cup butter in another bowl. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
4.Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then beat 2 minutes until light and creamy. Blend in vanilla and lemon peel.
5.Stir in flour mixture and yogurt alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in currants/raisins.
6.Spoon batter onto pecan mixture, spreading gently to sides of pan. 7.Bake about 50-60 mins until cake tests done. Immediately invert cake onto rack set over sheet of waxed paper.

White Texas Sheet Cake
1/2 c shortening
2 c granulated sugar
2 egg whites
1 ts salt
1 ts baking soda
2 c flour
1 3/4 c buttermilk
1 ts vanilla extract
1 ts almond extract
1 butter, melted
1/3 c buttermilk
1 ts almond extract
1 pound confectioners’ sugar
1/2 c coconut, toasted
1/2 c almond slices, toasted

Preheat oven to 350F.
1.Mix shortening, sugar and egg whites together until fluffy. Add baking soda, salt and flour. Mix to combine.
2.Mix together 1 3/4 cups buttermilk, vanilla extract and almond extract. Add to the first mixture.
3.Bake in greased, and paper lined jellyroll pan for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before removing from pan. Glaze cake while slightly warm.
4.Mix butter, 1/3 cup buttermilk, extract, and confectioners' sugar together. Glaze cake while warm. Sprinkle with coconut and almonds before serving.

Banana Cake
Topping:
1 c Dried Banana Chips, unsalted, crushed
1/2 Coconut, toasted
2 tb Unsalted Butter
1/2 c Light Brown Sugar, packed
3/4 c Pecans, coarsely chopped
Cake:
1 1/2 c Flour
3/4 ts Baking Powder
1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Ground Cinnamon
6 tb Unsalted Butter, softened
1 c Sugar
2 Eggs
1 ts Vanilla Extract
2 tb Dark Rum
3/4 ts Baking Soda
1/2 c Sour Cream
1 1/2 c Mashed Bananas

Preheat the oven to 325 F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 2-inch deep, 9-inch layer pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment or wax paper and butter the paper.
Topping:
1.Melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
2.Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the banana chips, coconut and chopped pecans until they are well coated with the brown sugar mixture. Set aside.
Cake:
1.Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Set aside.
2.Put the 6 softened butter in a large bowl and beat on medium speed 15 seconds. Slowly add the sugar and beat 2 minutes. The mixture will be thick. Add the eggs and beat for 1 minute. Scrape the sides down during beating. Add the vanilla and rum and beat until smooth.
3.Gently stir the baking soda into the sour cream. Stir the sour cream mixture into the mashed bananas. The banana mixture will be lumpy.
4.In a separate bowl, add the flour mixture and the banana mixture alternately, beating mixture on low. Begin and end with the flour mixture (3 parts of flour mixture, 2 of banana mixture). Stop mixing as soon as the last addition of flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.
5.Spread half the batter in the prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the topping evenly over the batter. Spread the remaining batter evenly over the topping. Sprinkle the remaining banana crunch topping evenly over the batter.
6.Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire cooling rack for about 2 hours. Use a small sharp knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan. Place a flat plate on top of the cake and invert the cake onto the plate. Carefully remove and discard the paper liner. Place another flat plate or a moisture-resistant cardboard cake circle on the bottom of the cake and invert the cake so the crunch topping is on the top. Cake can also be baked in a springform pan for easier removal.

It is a good cause and lots of fun. Make more than one - maybe you can be the 'cake hero' of the day! :)

Oh, crewsk! You're going to have so much fun! And what a wonderful thing for your family to do!..

Your pumpkin crunch cake looked fabulous, and like PA Baker, I love ginger (I'm going to make yours, too!)! And coconut cake is one I'll knock someone down to get to! :twisted:

My all-time favorite, though, is German Chocolate Cake with the traditional Coconut-Pecan filling and topping. And I remember my mother making a lemon layer cake with seven-minute icing and twisted lemon slices and lemon leaves on top and around the cake for decorations. It certainly was beautiful and, I'm sure, delicious.

Have fun!!! Sure look forward to hearing what you bring home yourself!

fundraising?

crewsk said:

Is it done for fundraising, or is it like a cookie exchange? If fundraising, how does that part work?

chefcyn, I think it will be a fundraising type of thing & each person will pay $1 to walk in the cake walk. All the money will be used for trips & activites the children & youth of our church participate in throughout the year.

Just thought I'd let ya'll know what I decided to do. I talked to the lady who is getting this thing together & asked if there would be a problem if I brought 3 cakes. She said that would be great. So, I am making my pumpkin crunch cake, kansasgirls banana cake, & PA's ginger cake.

Back
Top Bottom