Can I refreeze this ground beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateH21

Assistant Cook
I took a 1 lb. roll/chub of ground beef out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator. I intend to make two dishes with it. The problem is I want to make one dish Thursday 7/21 and the other dish Thursday 7/28.

Should I just wait for it to thaw just enough to be able to cut it in half, then wrap up the one half and stick it back in the freezer? If yes, what should I wrap it in? Plastic wrap? Foil? A plastic bread bag?

It's 3 pm now and I took it out at 12 30 pm (sorry, my colon key is missing, :LOL:).

I would do what you suggested, cut it in half as soon as it has thawed enough to do that and then re-freeze one half. I would wrap it in any kind of airtight plastic or silicone. If the bread bag is airtight, I would probably use that. Plastic wrap or a freezer bag would be fine too. Foil would be my last choice. But, I don't think it matters so much what you wrap it in since, you are going to take it out of the freezer in a week.

Edited to add: Maybe heat your knife with hot water to cut the chub in half.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have a problem with the refreeze. I wouldn't worry too much about the wrapping, just a zip sandwich bag (or whatever) will do.

I don't think I can recommend heating your knife, I would probably do it, but I can't recommend it... :rolleyes::LOL:

I agree with the above.

Another option would be to make both dishes now and freeze one for next week.

Ground beef that has been defrosted in the fridge is safe to refreeze as is. The crude meat ought to be refrozen in no less than two days of it being defrosted. To freeze ground beef, wrap the bundle in plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or cooler paper, or spot it in a cooler safe pack, prior to freezing to limit the risk of cooler consumption.

Back
Top Bottom