Can we talk Cabbage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshuaNY

Senior Cook
Hey folks,
I really only eat cabbage 2 times a year. St. Patricks day is the basic green cabbage, and Christmas is a sweet and sour Red Cabbage. I am trying to work more cabbage into my meal plans since it is pretty cheap and nutrient rich.

How do you guys enjoy it?

We have a crock of sauerkraut fermenting right now. Should get the first check of it Sunday or Monday.

I like cabbage in salads. I also like cole slaw and http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/danish-red-cabbage-r-dk-l-roedkaal-69012.html#post948219. I made a pot of that tonight. The cabbage weighed 1.6 kg and I didn't change the amounts of any of the other ingredients in the recipe. It will keep in the fridge for weeks and weeks and we will use it as garnish on sandwiches and heat it in the microwave to go with meals.

One of these days I will take Frank's suggestion and make some sauerkraut.

Slice cabbage on a mandolin, fry cube of speck till crispy, add cabbage, caraway seeds a glug of white wine, put the lid on and braise for about 60 mins when the liquid should have evaporated.

Just finished making a small batch of kimchee.

Also this week I slivered some cabbage for stir-frying with pork, onions, dried mushrooms. For this I barely cook the cabbage, enjoying the crunch.

Cabbage rolls are a once-every-winter thing that I've yet to do this year.

I hated cooked cabbage as a child, but thank heaven learned to love it, because I had to practically live on it when I was in my 20s because it was so inexpensive.

Of course there are hundreds of slaw recipes.

Even if you're making a tossed lettuce salad, a shaving of cabbage adds some crunch.

There's a dish made with cabbage and potatoes. I get it mixed up, someone out there help me. Colcannon? Bubble and Squeak? Something else. I've had it and made it and still cannot remember what it is called.

Oh, how could I forget? In Hawaii we had something called Portuguese bean soup. Made it many times.

I really like Stewed Cabbage, with just a tiny bit of onion and pork.

(Honestly, I wish I could make is Good as the little cafe down the street.)

Also Cabbage Rolls.. I think they call them Gwampkies, or Gulampkies in Indiana..

I used to make make my own Krout and Pickles..

but finaley gave up..

Kim Chee?

Eric, Ausin Tx.

Gwampke (or similar) is Polish. My MIL called it Halupke (Slovene or Slovak, not sure which or maybe both). I think every eastern European country has their version with its own name and slightly (or maybe very) different preparations. Over the years I took my mom's, my MIL's, and my mom's best friend's preparations, added my own. So it is Slovene, Slovak, Polish and wherever Mom learned hers.

I cannot remember where my best friend's husband's family comes from, but he insists on no tomato in the sauce, but then, likes tomato so much she prepares it on the side!

Last edited:
stuffed cabbage in tomato sauce
sauteed curly cabbage (savoy) with garlic, olive oil, broth
shredded in stir fries or soups
fresh cole slaw and kraut
steamed or sauteed cabbage mixed with mashed potatoes

Rotkohl
Boiled dinner (pork spare ribs, cabbage, potatoes, onions and sausage)
any number of homemade slaws

Craig

A co-worker gave me this recipe. Good stuff...

Nepali Cabbage Curry

Ingredients:

• 1 small head Napa cabbage, shredded 1/4 thick
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp minced ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 dried red chilies, one crumbled and soaked in 2 tbsp warm water, the other halved and seeded
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 2 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 4 whole Szechuan peppercorns
  • 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 tsp salt

Preparation:

Rinse and drain cabbage. Set aside.

Place cumin and coriander seeds in a mortar and pound with a pestle until finely ground. Add the ginger, garlic, and crumbled chili with the soaking water and pound to a smooth paste, adding 1 additonal teaspoon of water, if necessary. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the funugreek and halved dried chili, and fry until dark brown and fragrant, about 5 seconds. Add thepotatoes, turmeric, timmur, and asafoetida, and fry until the potatoes turn golden brown and are nearly cooked, about 10 minutes. Mix in the spic paste and stir for 1 minute. Add the cabbage, tomatoes, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage just begins to soften, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to a serving dish and serve.

Just as a note of interest, While in Berlin, Germany, I had a few times that I had to travel the Helmstedt-Berlin autobahn. For many hours, as far as I could see in every direction was nothing but cabbage fields. It astounded me that that amount of cabbage could be eaten. It was quite a sight.

A co-worker gave me this recipe. Good stuff...

Nepali Cabbage Curry

Ingredients:

• 1 small head Napa cabbage, shredded 1/4 thick
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tbsp minced ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 dried red chilies, one crumbled and soaked in 2 tbsp warm water, the other halved and seeded
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 2 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 4 whole Szechuan peppercorns
  • 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 1 tsp salt
Preparation:

Rinse and drain cabbage. Set aside.

Place cumin and coriander seeds in a mortar and pound with a pestle until finely ground. Add the ginger, garlic, and crumbled chili with the soaking water and pound to a smooth paste, adding 1 additonal teaspoon of water, if necessary. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the funugreek and halved dried chili, and fry until dark brown and fragrant, about 5 seconds. Add thepotatoes, turmeric, timmur, and asafoetida, and fry until the potatoes turn golden brown and are nearly cooked, about 10 minutes. Mix in the spic paste and stir for 1 minute. Add the cabbage, tomatoes, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage just begins to soften, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the mixture to a serving dish and serve.

Sounds great! Did they not suggest toasting the cumin and corriander seeds before grinding? To me, that smell of freshly toasted, ground cumin is addictive!:wacko:

Craig

Sounds great! Did they not suggest toasting the cumin and corriander seeds before grinding? To me, that smell of freshly toasted, ground cumin is addictive!:wacko:

Craig
Yeah, you could sure do that. The spices do get stir fried in at the end, but nothing wrong with toasting them before grinding, either.

Shred your cabbage, and put it in an oiled baking pan. Add evaporated milk, to cover the cabbage about half-way. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover with bread crumbs and dot with butter.

Bake til hot and bubbly and cabbage is tender.

Just finished making a small batch of kimchee.

Also this week I slivered some cabbage for stir-frying with pork, onions, dried mushrooms. For this I barely cook the cabbage, enjoying the crunch.

Cabbage rolls are a once-every-winter thing that I've yet to do this year.

I hated cooked cabbage as a child, but thank heaven learned to love it, because I had to practically live on it when I was in my 20s because it was so inexpensive.

Of course there are hundreds of slaw recipes.

Even if you're making a tossed lettuce salad, a shaving of cabbage adds some crunch.

There's a dish made with cabbage and potatoes. I get it mixed up, someone out there help me. Colcannon? Bubble and Squeak? Something else. I've had it and made it and still cannot remember what it is called.

Bubble ans Squeak. Compliments of Two Fat Ladies? The Irish call it Colcannon. :)

Back
Top Bottom