Can you identify this tool??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tell you what....you come home late from the pub one night, and you wife greets your at the door holding one of these...you know your butt is in trouble! :LOL:

il_570xN.202577461.jpg

That sucker's a purpose built husband "correction tool".

I posted the picture on facebook.

I also sent a message to Cooks Illustrated as they always have a "What is this tool" box in their magazine.

Only I don't know how to access it.... complicated FAQ section... arghhh. Some times they just get too big.

Thanks, Reddit has also been tried and I mailed Cooks Illustrated to see if I can send them a photo as well, no response so far!

I hope when its discovered, the results get posted. I am now quite curious.

Me too !!! I've spent way too much time trying to find something like this on the Internet----- mostly for cooking supplies, since I'm on this forum. :)

Maybe it't time to start thinking "something other than cooking". But what?

To me I think it would be a fur/hide tanning tool .. like for scraping off connective tissues/fat and what not from the hide/fur/leather.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this. But it's not it. I don't know how to make the picture bigger, Sorry.

Attachments

• Butter Curler.jpg
    Butter Curler.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 175
I had never seen a taco server before but it does have the right shape, however you'd have to be the size of a Barbie doll to enjoy it i.e its far too small!
My latest guess it that it could be dragged along something to cut/indent rather than just as a rocking/pounding tool...

A ravioli tool is usually a circle/square shape. could you create strips for pasta?
Maybe it is just for crimping pastry at the edges?!

Even if I don't gain a definitive answer I certainly have a list of 100's of things to do with one tool

Unfortunately it doesn't have any markings on it and actually I don't believe it came with a drum.

MadCook - do you have one too? Could you post a picture? Yes having researched making Surkal I can't find anything that actually looks like it but I think warming it to melt butter is a good idea. I only do a bit of cooking now and then but I've heard mixing butter with flour for pastry should always be done cold..
Can't post a picture. My camera has gone west.

I only use it for softening butter for spreading on bread, not for butter for baking. I sometimes get lumbered with making industrial quantities of d=sandwiches for church events.

Mad Cook - The fact that both you and Step are both in England supports my idea that this item is unique to England. The item that I was trying to post in that tiny little picture is a butter curler and says it is from England made by the Nutbrown company.

Here are some I saw on Ebay. They are very similar to the utensil you have.

nutbrown butter | eBay

Sorry guys, hate to disagree, but there is no way that is a butter curler.

I have seen butter curlers and they have sharp edges. Think zesters! This tool is remarkable in the fact that the two outer edges are quite thick and the inner ridge is thin but not knife like.

Pottery, no. Pasta, no. Leather, no. woodworking,hmmm no.

OK folks... We HAVE to figure this out!:(

Well, I'm from Britain and I have never seen anything like this. It's totally fascinating and I can't wait to find out what it is!

There are no sharp edges, but could it be an edge sealer of some kind?

Sorry guys, hate to disagree, but there is no way that is a butter curler.

I have seen butter curlers and they have sharp edges. Think zesters! This tool is remarkable in the fact that the two outer edges are quite thick and the inner ridge is thin but not knife like.

Pottery, no. Pasta, no. Leather, no. woodworking,hmmm no.

OK folks... We HAVE to figure this out!:(

I wasn't saying that it was a butter curler, just that it is made similar to one, just with a different head. Mad Cook is using it in the kitchen and Step's grandmother referred to it as a kitchen utensil.

Back
Top Bottom