"Canadian Pork BBQ Championships" - Paris Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Well I am packing for my first real Comp. We leave tomorrow AM.

Got everything I need double and triple checked everything on my lists.

Going to see how I do against the big Teams.

Here is who has registered so far:

1. Porky's BBQ - Brantford, Ontario, Canada
2. The Q Crew - Barrie, Ontario, Canada
3. Team Cedar Grilling - Ballinafad, Ontario, Canada
4. Swines & Bovines - Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
5. Simcoe County Smokers - Barrie, Ontario, Canada
6. Frying Pan - Franklin, Pennsylvania, U.S.A
7. Bustin' Loose - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
8. Big Sid's BBQ - Brantford, Ontario, Canada
9. Bubba-Q - Chatham, Ontario, Canada
10. Smokin' In the Igloo - Brantford, Ontario, Canada
11. BBQ Bob & The EH Team - Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
12. Happy Grillmore - Brantford, Ontario, Canada
13. The BBQ Effect - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
14. Diva-Q - Barrie, Ontario, Canada
15. No Leftovers - Creemore, Ontario, Canada
16. Dizzy Pig Canada - London, Ontario, Canada
17. Swine Fellows - Brantford, Ontario, Canada
18. Smoked Meets - Scarborough, Ontario, Canada

Wish me luck. There are some incredibly talented BBQ'ers going.

Give them HELL Diva. Tell Fran from Frying pan I say hey and also Mike and his lovely bride from Dizzy pig canada.

I think Mike and the Dizzy Pig crew are all great people. Very kind and extremely helpful to me.

I don't know Fran but I hear awesome things for sure!!!

Good Luck Diva !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 wooohooo go git em !!! I do not know Fran, but I know people who do and they say he and his wife are super people..

You guys are just so sweet.

Thank you again !!!!!

I would like to win something or get a call however I think I would settle for just not coming in last in anything. That would be great.

Hi everyone!

I am home and in pain so i am just copying and pasting from the bbqtalk.ca post plus one of my teammates pictures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a first time comp I have to say it was certainly interesting.

Congratulations to all the teams I was thrilled for you all!!!!

A few memorable highlights:

We set up - our tent gets destroyed by the winds.So sad I loved that red tent. Was brand new. *sniff* A couple of vultures from Cedar Grilling and Bustin Loose took home some of the hardware from the wreckage. They seemed quite happy LOL Smile

Break one of my best knives and my knife sharpener

Spill my brisket injection all over me.

Dump an entire container of mustard on my brisket and myself

Just about lost my chicken in the grass

Forget one of the WSM racks in Barrie Shawn from Porky's BBQ comes to my rescue with his racks (thank you so much)

Forget my deep water pan in Barrie :shock:

Overfill my water pan and put out one of my fires (duh)

Lose any feeling in my feet and hands (not so good)

Having the brisket and butt from hell one taking 18 hours.

Having a lovely time at the potluck. -All the food was great!

Going to two stores just to find lettuce that wasn't rotten (Thanks to Adrienne who gave advice about lettuce and a few other things at 2 am much appreciated)

New car garage tent bought immediately at Canadian Tire - have no clue how to set it up. Thank you to Cedar Grilling who came to our rescue.

Second tent gets set up - Oh my Lordy horrific rains and winds scared me senseless. Thank you to all of the guys from Bustin Loose and Jim from Simcoe County Smokers who helped keep our tent together - cracked one of the poles the weather was so severe. Those tornadoes around in other towns scared me. Huge thanks to Tibor who reminded us that holding metal tent poles in the driving rain hail and lightening may not be such a good idea.

Realizing that everything and anything can get wet very quickly and make a mess of life.

Sids BBQ who came through with paper towels for us!

Having a cameraman from the Toronto Star in my tent all day - very challenging. Learned to ignore him very quickly.

The guys from Big Sids BBQ (John Brian Craig) - Thank you for keeping me smiling and cracking me up. You reminded me often how it was supposed to be fun and not so serious. I am keeping the chicken and paper towel holder LOL.

Coffee- I have never drank so much 18 cups on Friday night to keep me awake. Was a little shaky come Saturday morning - I wonder why.

I have learned I will never ever have the ability to drink much( I am ok with that) - 3 vodka Orangina drinks was plenty for me.

Having a great conversation with Duncan at 4:30am at the fire pit. We didn't see anyone else awake LOL. Shared some tips and ideas.

Firecrackers + Fire pit = Cranky Bubba

Forgetting to put wood in the WSm when my brisket went on.

To the guys and gals from BBQ central who have given me advice and offered help - I thank you LOTS!

Being nervous as all heck come my first turn in time. I got much better after that LOL.

Thank you to everyone and Scotty for organizing it all.

I did not get a chance to come say goodbye to everyone. Wish I could have.

Overall the "community" was so nice and friendly and helpful. Only heard a few snide nasty comments directed at me and really I could have cared less. Not really worth it to comment on those people they are certainly not representing the BBQ community as a whole. Really they just need to get over it already.

Not getting called but realizing we came in 6th overall out of 18 was a HUGE! highlight and I am so proud of my team. Truly they are the best people in the world. My husband rocks in a big way and he took a lot of ribbing from the guys! He is so supportive I am the luckiest woman alive to have such a love. I am blessed.

My teammates Louisa and John who truly are some of the nicest and kindest people I have ever known. They had to pack up everything themselves on Sunday.

I am grateful to have them on my team. THey are the best!!

I would write more but I am in a lot of pain. Slept wrong on Saturday night and seized up my back completely.

So thank you to everyone. I learned some valuable lessons this weekend. Thank you for the encouragement and the congratulations on our finish. We are happy for the results but we will be back and hopefully with a few changes get to stand on the podium as well.

Big Hugs to all
Danielle

Back
Top Bottom