Canadian Thanksgiving ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
What would have been the things eaten at the first Canadian Thanksgiving? Since the climate is different and it was at a different time of year from the first US Thanksgiving I would think there'd be different things to eat. wiki says Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to Martin Frobisher in 1578 when they landed on Baffin Island, so maybe we should eat narwhals & walrusses!

Yeah I know it's a harvest festival, but there are different foods grown in different places. If seal fins don't sound good, Samuel de Champlain used to have Thanksgiving festivals in New France (the part which became Nova Scotia), where the climate, time of year (& First-Nations cuisine) would have likely been different than it would have been in Massachussets. In Canada (according to wiki again) we only started to eat the usual turkey (etc) when the Loyalists moved north after the American Revolution, bringing the American Thanksgiving cuisine with them. I read that they grew lots of grains but I have a feeling that lobster & other seafood might also be more traditional Canadian (pre-American-revolution) Thanksgiving foods.

Last edited:
You might be better to look at the traditional harvest festival meals they ate in Britain as that is likely more the model for our meal at the time.

because... champlain was british? :ermm:

*sigh*

No. I meant that the harvest festivals our modern thanksgiving is modelled after resemble the BRITISH traditions. I clearly have misunderstood your question. Sorry. Yes, we should eat narwhal and walrus and perhaps a pate of lemming to go with.

Baffin Island food...now that's a challenge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom