Candied ginger...how can I use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
As I have mentioned before, I get a produce (and other stuff) basket on a weekly basis. I get to pick what goes in the basket. But, once in a while, something unexpected shows up in the basket that I don't get charged for. This time it was candied ginger.

What can I use it for? I don't want to make Xmas pudding or fruit cake. Any other ideas?

I have had gingersnaps with finely diced up candied ginger in them that were delicious. Just have to chop it finely, and make sure it isn't overly moist.

I have also added it to a spicy bar cookie, that is basically like a gingersnap, flavorwise, but it would be better in that type of thing, if it is very moist.

I can't really think of any savory dishes that I use it in, but I know I've seen it in some recipes.

Groan.... I would just snack on it :pig:

Try your hand at melting chocolate and dipping the ginger in. Just half of it, looks pretty.

and then you just snack on it. :pig::pig::angel:

ps: it keeps for ever well sealed

I have had gingersnaps with finely diced up candied ginger in them that were delicious. Just have to chop it finely, and make sure it isn't overly moist.

I have also added it to a spicy bar cookie, that is basically like a gingersnap, flavorwise, but it would be better in that type of thing, if it is very moist.

I can't really think of any savory dishes that I use it in, but I know I've seen it in some recipes.

I also made ginger snap kind of cookies using 4 types of ginger that were delicious! It used dry ginger powder, candied ginger, fresh ginger minced, and I can't remember the fourth type!

I've candied ginger because it is so delicious and if your stomach gets upset, a little piece of candied ginger really settles it amazingly. We'd keep some in a jar on the counter and snack on a piece occasionally.

I used it in a turmeric chai tea mix, then put teaspoons of it into cotton tea bags (and paper ones), and that's one of my favorites. All those spices have so many anti-oxidants it is both delicious and good for you. I keep that in my tea cabinet and have it often.

Ooh, lots of good ideas. Thanks folks, keep 'em coming. :)

We drink ginger ale for queasy tummy. I betcha eating candied ginger would work better, with less sugar and more ginger.

Good to know that they will last a long time, if kept air tight.

Those suckers stay edible forever if kept sealed up well, taxy. I have a bag in the basement that is forever years old and it is just fine.

When my SIL and I were on a Girls' Week ages ago (before they moved here, and have since moved away) I had bought a lemon and ginger scone from a little shop in VT. It was moist and flavorful and I loved it! I baked up a batch of plain, old classic scones but added a bit of lemon zest and finely minced candied ginger to the batch - and they were wonderful! Except that Himself wasn't really fond of them. I haven't made them for ages, but when I do I divide the batter in half, then add ginger to mine and blueberries to Himself's. That way we're both happy enough.

taxy, the recipe uses zest so I can't think why it wouldn't work with finely chopped ginger added as an extra.
Try it and let us know.

Back
Top Bottom