Candy-Cap Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Remember back when we were still doing the Golden Chef Challenges? We did one with the theme-mushrooms. There were great mushroom dishes created, photographed, and entered. One of our esteemed participants made candy cap ice cream for the desert, and rave about how great it was. So you just know that I had to try and make it myself.

Oh, and for those of you who don't know what they are, candy cap mushrooms have a strong maple flavor, but aren't sweet. Can you even wrap that around your brain?

Well, I made the custard last night, and it's been chillin' in da fridge, as we Yoopers would say. If the flavor of the custard is any indication, this is going to be a spectacular ice cream. Here's what's in it:

3 cups heavy cream
3 cups whole milk
8 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar, divided in half
1 tsp. vanilla
5 candy cap mushrooms

1. Place half of the sugar, along with the mushrooms into the blender, and pulse until the sugar and mushrooms are combined in a fine powder (about 8 pulses).

2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar/mushroom mixture in a seperate bowl until smooth.

3. Heat the cream, milk, vanilla, and remaining sugar in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, until it just starts to simmer, stirring to prevent it from sticking.

4. Remove the pan from the heat, and slowly whisk 1 cup of the hot milk/cream mixture into the yolk bowl. Then, slowly whisk in a 2nd cup of the hot milk/cream.

5. Place the pan back on the hot stove and slowly whisk in the yolk mixture, using a spatula to get all of that candy cap goodness into the pan.

6. Bring the pan contents to a gently boil while whisking, and let boil until the custard begins to thicken. Test for the correct thickness by dipping a spoon into the custard. If it coats the spoon, and you can run your finger down the back and make a clear line, then it's done. Remove from the heat and place the pan into a sink full of ice water. Con tinue whisking until cool to prevent a skin from forming on the custard.

7. Either put the custard into a covered container, and into the fridge until ready to make the ice cream, or pour into your ice cream maker and make ice cream.

I'm tellin' ya, this custard is superb. I almost couldn't resist cooking it a bit longer to thicken it just a little more, and eating it from a bowl. I can't hardly wait to put it into my ice cream maker, and serve it up to my daughter, wife, granddaughters, and of course, have some for me.

Can you say yum?:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Yum, just what I need for those Candy Caps hiding in the pantry. I was supposed to make this last summer.

Yum, just what I need for those Candy Caps hiding in the pantry. I was supposed to make this last summer.

The ice cream came out better than I expected. The slight, earthy mushroom flavor came out with the strong maple to create an ice cream that fooled the mind into thinking I was eating a premium maple-nut ice cream. I will be making this again.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom