Canned Gumbo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golddustpeak

Assistant Cook
I'm a big fan of gumbo and often make it.
I make it in batches then vac pack and freeze.

Occasionally I get the craving for gumbo and have none on hand, due to weather or my lack of desire to acquire the ingredients.
I'd love to have a can of good gumbo for such emergencies.

My question is:
Is there a canned gumbo that is worthy of eating.

TNX

Last edited by a moderator:
Campbell's used to sell a chicken gumbo soup and a chunky grilled chicken and sausage soup, and Progresso sells a traditional chicken and sausage gumbo soup, but I have no idea if they are any good. I'd try to find a local Cajun restaurant that has take-out.

You might want to check out your local Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen. Some of them have gumbo as a side.

Last edited:
There are gumbo "kits" on the market from cajun food companies like Zatarain's, that are quick and easy to make. I think most have you add your own meat. That is perfect if you have leftover chicken you need to use.

Zatarain's is owned by McCormick spices, so their products should be available nationwide.

CD

Campbell's used to sell a chicken gumbo soup and a chunky grilled chicken and sausage soup, and Progresso sells a traditional chicken and sausage gumbo soup, but I have no idea if they are any good. I'd try to find a local Cajun restaurant that has take-out.

You might want to check out your local Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen. Some of them have gumbo as a side.

Popeye's has an awesome red beans and rice side, but I have not seen gumbo at any of their stores. Not to say none of their stores have it, just not the one's I've been to. They have Jambalaya, but I haven't tried it. I always get the red beans and rice.

CD

There is a brand named Blue Runner that is made in Gonzales Louisiana. They make a seafood and a chicken gumbo base that all you have to add is seafood or chicken and sausage and then put it over rice. It is very tasty but not as good as home made.

I'm a big fan of gumbo and often make it.
I make it in batches then vac pack and freeze.

Occasionally I get the craving for gumbo and have none on hand, due to weather or my lack of desire to acquire the ingredients.
I'd love to have a can of good gumbo for such emergencies.

My question is:
Is there a canned gumbo that is worthy of eating.

TNX

NO!!!

I remember (years and years ....ago) going to a grocer in LA and finding a canned gumbo that was pretty good....
Since that time I've lost the names of the grocer and product.

I've looked at the revues of the (normal) canned products, but I'm looking for a step up from there...

I cannot find anything other than what has been mentioned above.

Must I make enough to keep me happy, then make more a lot of time before I rune out????

I remember (years and years ....ago) going to a grocer in LA and finding a canned gumbo that was pretty good....
Since that time I've lost the names of the grocer and product.

I've looked at the revues of the (normal) canned products, but I'm looking for a step up from there...

I cannot find anything other than what has been mentioned above.

Must I make enough to keep me happy, then make more a lot of time before I rune out????

I found a YouTube video for a "lazy man's gumbo." Man, the guy in the video looks awfully familiar. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lokQaHmN8-E

CD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom