Canning garlic with tupperware container?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I love to eat pickled garlic....minced in salads...pureed and spread on bread...even straight. I have looked up some recipes - very simple - but they are full of warnings about safety. Safety is important. I have some glass canning type jars I can use but I would like to make a small batch first -20 cloves or so - and if I like the recipe, I will move on up. I have a rectangular tupperware type container that I would like to use to pickle the garlic. It is big enough to hold 25-30 cloves of garlic and be only slightly more than half full. The recipe calls for storing in the fridge for at least a week, or up to 3 months. Can I use the plastic box (after dipping in boiling water, etc)?

I wouldn't recommend that. Is there a reason you are using Tupperware, as opposed to a glass jar? If this is just some cold pickling method, you could half fill a jar, with no problem. Plus, the plastic containers probably would not keep the garlic odor in, and it will permeate the refrigerator.

Last edited:
The recipe calls for filling the container to the top of the container...trying to save a little vinegar :( I do have a small mayonaise jar that is glass...it is the right volume. Can I use that?

I save glass jars like that all the time. Most jars I save have rubber seals, but you'd have to keep an eye on them, to make sure if there is any fermentation, pressure doesn't build up in them.

Just wanted to clarify that you are talking about pickling, not canning. Canning involves heating the jars in boiling water for a specific amount of time. You can do this with pickles or with other high-acid foods like jams, chutneys and relishes.

Back
Top Bottom