Canning mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
We canned mushrooms and we canned kim chi.

The kim chi would not seal, I ended up re-canning some 3 times. I was really afraid it would be mushy but I had some for dinner and it was just fine. 12 qts.
The mushrooms are on sale at aldis for 99cents/8 oz so we canned some.
Ended up with 47 pints which will last most of the year. A lb of mushrooms is about 1 pint.

I have extra mushrooms and mushroom broth, now I need to find a good soup recipe to use it. This one looks pretty good.
Potato and Mushroom soup
https://veggiesociety.com/potato-mushroom-soup-recipe-vegan/

I will probably put some fresh frozen coconut into the blender with water for the coconut milk, and use broccoli instead of spinach.

Ingredients

• 3/4 lb mushrooms (sliced)
  • 6 medium golden potatoes (rinsed & cut into 1 inch pieces)
  • 2 carrots -diced
  • 1 stick celery -chopped
  • 1/2 chopped onion ( or 1/2 cup sliced leeks)
  • 4 cloves garlic -minced
  • 3-4 cups water
  • 1 cup coconut or cashew milk (full fat)
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1.5 tsp ground mustard
  • 2 leaves bay
  • 6 sprigs thyme
  • 1 pinch sea salt -to taste
  • 1 pinch nutmeg -freshly grated
  • 2 cups baby spinach (or broccoli florets)
It's looks nice, no?

Potato-Mushroom-Soup-Recipe-Vegan-2.jpg

That looks really delicious.

When I make a soup that calls for coconut milk, I often use creamed coconut and water or vegi stock. It comes in a block that is soft at room temperature and hard in the fridge. It's really handy to have on hand. It's usually cheaper than buying canned coconut milk and it keeps well in the fridge, so if you don't need an entire can, it is particularly useful. I usually just grate some into the soup or throw a chunk in.

Here's an article that explains about it and the ratio to water to make coconut milk: https://www.type1kitchen.com/creame...ifference-and-how-to-make-one-from-the-other/

Taxlady, I'm the sure the creamed coconut would work just fine.
I just prefer to adulterate and process coconut kernel in my own kitchen, lol. This way I know what I'm eating.

I put out all the ingredients, peeled potatoes (which I usually don't do), the onions, carrots, and mushrooms are cooked. I'll just add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes before we want to eat it this afternoon.

Taxlady, I'm the sure the creamed coconut would work just fine.
I just prefer to adulterate and process coconut kernel in my own kitchen, lol. This way I know what I'm eating.

I put out all the ingredients, peeled potatoes (which I usually don't do), the onions, carrots, and mushrooms are cooked. I'll just add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes before we want to eat it this afternoon.

I can understand that, as long as you have the energy and time to do it.

Looks like a winner, bliss. I've saved it too. Best part is being freezable. Although now with a family around it isn't as vital as before. Things get eaten up pretty fast.

We just finished. OH it was very very good.

For us, people not used to having much fat (naturally in foods or refined oil), there was a little bit of oil in this from the coconut. Very rich to our tastes. I'm sure it would be good with or without the coconut milk.

Taxlady, yes, thank God I have energy. I feel blessed about that.

I have 2 coconuts worth of kernel in the freezer. I'm thinking it will last us a year, maybe more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom