Canning navel oranges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
We picked up 32 lbs of navel oranges for less than $8. Canned them in quarts, 14 quarts.

If we can get more oranges we'll can more. I can see snacking on oranges. Oranges with rice. Oranges added to stir fried veggies. Oranges in smoothies. Oranges added to banana nice-cream (blended frozen). Orange zucchini bread. Honey glazed orange slices broiled.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/grapefruit_orange.html

Mr bliss helps by peeling them, and then I separate them and can them.
We're in Wisconsin and we don't usually see good prices on citrus. We see snow, and frozen tundra 5 months of the year.

Are you saving any of the orange zest? I often use a potato peeler to remove strips of zest from citrus. I let them air dry and then put them in a jar. I often use some in a pasta sauce and pull them out when the pasta sauce is done. It adds a lovely note. They can also be ground with a whirly blade grinder once they are dry, if desired.

Taxlady, I would, but I have candied citrus peels I made, on hand. (I fillet off the pith, so they are thin and just rind first) Grated rind, frozen. Dehydrated slices. Dehydrated rind without pith. (used in teas) Like I said, I would but I have.

We picked up another 20 bags, so we are continuing to can. We canned more, 16 pints. More to do tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom