Canning salsa: how much lemon juice per cups of cooked salsa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GemArt

Assistant Cook
I made about 25 to 30 cups of salsa - then decided to look up recipe. Did not realize the importance of adding more acid as I had assumed tomatoes were abusive enough. We added 1 cup of Hitler lemon juice, is that enough?

Also had prepared salsa without cooking it, no lemon juice, left out overnight, refrigerated for 1 and 1/2 weeks. Was planning to can it and didn't get around to it. It was in a bowl and covered with foil. It ate through the foil so I scraped off the dissolved foil and froze the rest. Should I toss it?

The thought of botulism had got me spooked.

Thanks in advance!

So far not a fan of this forum as I've received no responses. If you can suggest another that has better rated responses please let me know.
Thanks

Sorry, GemArt. I am on the road heading back home, but my "recipe" for salsa includes lime juice, I have never used lemon. Lemons are bigger. Gosh, how much per jar, it is added to the batch. I usually make 7-8 pints/time because that is how many jars fit in my canner. I add the lime juice at the end of the cooking time--I also add the lime zest then and fresh cilantro then, and I am guessing I use 5-7 limes. I do it all by taste. It depends on the size of the lime and the amount of juice I get/lime. Except when I bake, I am "winger."

Last edited:
I also use lime juice in my salsas. Lime is more common in Mexican cuisine. I add it to taste. It adds a little brightness to the salsa.

BTW, you might want to check your spelling when you post. The "Hitler" lemon juice may have thrown a few people. :ohmy: ;)

CD

Last edited:
So far not a fan of this forum as I've received no responses. If you can suggest another that has better rated responses please let me know.
Thanks
To be honest, I thought this post was a joke because you did everything wrong. You didn't heat the food, didn't add lemon juice, left it out overnight and then left it in the refrigerator for at least a week. No, it's not safe. Dump it and follow a tested recipe next time, like this one. You can use lime juice instead of lemon if you want.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_salsa/tomato_tomato_paste_salsa.html

Sorry, GemArt. I am on the road heading back home, but my "recipe" for salsa includes lime juice, I have never used lemon. Lemons are bigger. Gosh, how much per jar, it is added to the batch. I usually make 7-8 pints/time because that is how many jars fit in my canner. I add the lime juice at the end of the cooking time--I also add the lime zest then and fresh cilantro then, and I am guessing I use 5-7 limes. I do it all by taste. It depends on the size of the lime and the amount of juice I get/lime. Except when I bake, I am "winger."

I hope you're not feeding this salsa to medically fragile people like your mom. Citrus juice is added to ensure that the acidity level is high enough to prevent the growth of botulinum. You have to add a measured amount per the recipe and it needs to be bottled juice because fresh juice varies in its acidity and bottled has a specific acidity level. Canned food can be very dangerous to eat if it isn't done right. It's not a place to be winging it.

Last edited:
I know what I am doing when I am canning. I process my salsa according to the instructions that came with my pressure canner. Or, I freeze it. And no, the infirms don't get any.

GemArt, sorry I didn't reply right away. We get a lot of one-time posters who are just trying to establish links... or something like that. So, I'm in the habit of not replying to one-post members. Sorry, my bad.

I don't cook my salsa. Just never did it. My "recipe" uses lime juice and some cider vinegar -- and a little salt. I jar it and put it in the fridge. I've never had a jar of salsa go bad on me. But, it also gets eaten pretty fast in my house.

Now, if something eats trough foil, I would dump it. I'd be worried about metal contamination. Sounds too much like a "science project" for me to eat.

CD

It is possible to safely process non-acid foods in a pressure canner without the addition of acid.
I know, but that's not what we're talking about. The OP is asking about water-bath canning, so CWS's comment about her process isn't relevant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom