Canning venison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joepack

Assistant Cook
New to canning. Pressure canned some venison earlier today. Canner wasn’t functioning properly. Cans sealed but I don’t feel it was at the right pressure or long enough. Can I redo it now that my pressure canner is working properly, or do I have to throw out the meat?

Hello Joepack and Welcome to DC!

Must say I do not "can" nor do I have a pressure cooker capable of.

But others here do and can possibly lead you in the right direction. I'm sure they will have quite a few questions for you.

By not the right or long enough. How high do you think the temp reached? How long did it hold that temp?

How long has it been since you canned it earlier today? Timing might have an effect, I don't know.

The air vent lock was leaking so I’m not sure I ever got a consistent temp/pressure. A few times it started whistling, but the regulator was never “rocking” . It was in the canner an hour or so. It’s been 5-6 hours since I did it earlier today. The cans are sealed on my counter top.

I’m wondering if I can just set the canner up again, and put the sealed jars back in for 70 minutes at the appropriate pressure. Will that kill any bacteria? Or is it too late?

Last edited:
The air vent lock was leaking so I’m not sure I ever got a consistent temp/pressure. A few times it started whistling, but the regulator was never “rocking” . It was in the canner an hour or so. It’s been 5-6 hours since I did it earlier today. The cans are sealed on my counter top.

I’m wondering if I can just set the canner up again, and put the sealed jars back in for 70 minutes at the appropriate pressure. Will that kill any bacteria? Or is it too late?

Yes, you should put jars back in for 70 minutes. If it were me, I'd unseal them, get new lids and put them back in the canner for the full time. Make sure the amount of liquid in the jar comes up to the proper level.
I know it seems like the meat will be overcooked, but at least you know it will be safe.

I too would replace the lids, and take the opportunity to remove any solidified tallow. Make sure the liquid is at the proper level in the jars, clean the jar tops, and pressure can as per your canner instructions.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom