Carrot cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VegOut

Assistant Cook
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An awsome recipe!! It it very yummy :chef: [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cake[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple
2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrots (4-6 medium)
1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frosting
2 tablespoons coconut chips or flaked coconut
12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Toast walnuts in a small baking pan in the oven until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain pineapple in a sieve set over a bowl, pressing on the solids. Reserve the drained pineapple and 1/4 cup of the juice.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and the 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in pineapple, carrots and coconut. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until blended. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. To prepare frosting & finish cake: Place coconut in a small baking pan and toast in the oven at 300°F, stirring several times, until light golden, 5 to 10 minutes.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with the coconut[/font]

Texas - if carrot cake sounds good to you, but you're on a diet, try steaming some carrot slices, then add a bit of cinnamon and ginger to the condensation from the steam.

Oh, thanks a lot, jkath. I was vicariously eating all these wonderful cakes this afternoon instead of making a real one and you had to go and mention the "D" word.

Texas, it's amazing how your taste buds equate spices/fresh herbs with "no-no foods"...use them to your advantage! The only one to stay away from is salt.

I have salt allergies, so I don't cook with it either.
(But if I didn't have a reaction, I'd be the first to put it on my potatoes!!!)

Back
Top Bottom