Cheese Whiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not something I buy, but when we'd go to the cabin at LOW, my cousins used to smear it on toast....there was always a jar there after they'd been up to the cabin.

that's where i had heard about it first, so i bought some to make one of her recipes.

i've used annato several times since and still think it has almost no flavour. lol, unless i'm getting bad annato.

that's where i had heard about it first, so i bought some to make one of her recipes.

i've used annato several times since and still think it has almost no flavour. lol, unless i'm getting bad annato.

It's not the annato, BT. It's you. You have contracted the dreaded (gasp):ohmy: Failing Taste-bud Syndrome!

Do do do do, do do do do (sing to the tune of Outer Limits Theme song).

It starts innocently enough with the inability to taste annatto. Then, the insidious syndrome takes away your ability to taste Turmeric, then Saffron (oh no! Not Saffron! What will I do? What will I do!). After Saffron, you lose Thyme, Sage, and similar flavors. Eventually, you are left with only one flavor sensation; yes, you know what it is; that final flavor, that will excite your taste-buds for the rest of your days is... Whale Blubber!

When you eat Cheetos, they will taste like whale blubber. When you consume lobster thermador, it will taste like whale blubber. When you drink root beer, yep, whale blubber. Everything you put in your mouth for the rest of your days will taste like whale blubber.

Oh the horror! And your breath, well it will smell like whale blubber. The only people you will be able to hang around with will be old whalers, who carry around rotting harpoons, and talk about the glory days, when they witnessed Moby Dick remove the leg of their famous captain.

But fear not, my freind. There is one cure. You must drink three 14 ounce bowls of dirty-sock-soup between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. for 29 days. This is important, so I'll say it again, every day, in the daytime, between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. Don't ask me how you're going to drink the stuff in the daytime during those hours. You have to figure that out. That's the rules. I didn't make 'em.

Then, and only then, will your taste buds begin to re-appear and allow you to taste other flavors. First will come horseradish, then all forms of mustard, then peanut butter, and so on until your taste buds are restored completely.

But then again, with your cooking, the loss of taste might just be a blessing.:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Oh put that switch back in the woodshed. You know that I know you are a phenomenal cook. I was only kidding.:angel:

Now go and be a good Daddy and make your young'un a grilled PBJ.:D

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

She really likes to "flavor" oil with the seeds. I do know that if you burn the seeds in the oil, you'll definately get a "flavor", just not one you really want.:(

It's not the annato, BT. It's you. You have contracted the dreaded (gasp):ohmy: Failing Taste-bud Syndrome!

Oh put that switch back in the woodshed. You know that I know you are a phenomenal cook. I was only kidding.:angel:

Now go and be a good Daddy and make your young'un a grilled PBJ.:D

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

You could always check with Daisy Martinez(sp), "Daisy Cooks". I believe she says it adds flavor.

I'm not so sure there's any back channel from me to her.

I first found achiote in my local Latino market, El Mexicano brand Achiote Rojo (red), condimentado Yucateco (Yucatan style condiment) spiced seasoning paste. It has a mild, slightly acid, slightly sweet, slightly spicy taste, only the slightest bit hot. It has a slightly vinegary smell. I'm tasting some as I write this description. It's difficult to describe, and I sometimes wonder if I'm not so good at describing tastes/smells. There is a mild chili taste to it but not chili hot. Slightly salty too.

Ingredients: annato seed, cornmeal, corn flour, vinegar, salt, water, granulated garlic, spices, FD&C food color #40, sodium benzoate as a preservative.

Nutrition facts: serving size 1 oz. (25 g), no fat or cholesterol, 50 calories, 500 mg sodium, 11 g carb (fiber 2 g), sugars 1 g, protein 1 g.

Funny they don't know 1 ounce = 28 g. (28.3 if you wanna be pedantic)

I initially became interested in El Mexicano brand Achiote Rojowhen I was attempting to develop my own copycat El Pollo Loco flame broiled chicken. I'm still working on that...

It looks like an ideal ingredient for such recipes but mostly all I can tell it contributing is color, and not that much to taste. I haven't given up yet, but I'll need a lot more other flavor ingredients. The achiote paste works well to add red color, and in fact the resulting chicken is very attractive in terms of color.

Last edited:
First off, you don't buy the paste, you make it yourself. The paste is used in Pibil style BBQ/roasting.;)

there's food colouring in achiote paste??? sumpin's not right.

But fear not, my freind. There is one cure. You must drink three 14 ounce bowls of dirty-sock-soup between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. for 29 days. This is important, so I'll say it again, every day, in the daytime, between the hours of 11 p.m. and 2 a.m. Don't ask me how you're going to drink the stuff in the daytime during those hours. You have to figure that out. That's the rules. I didn't make 'em.

chief, i refuse to make your version of clam chowder /dirty sock soup again.

i don't care that you guys can smell your own feet, i don't want to see it no matter how long we're stuck in the ice fishing hut.

and i know you are far from the sea, but hocking a loogie into a soup is not considered "adding clams" even if the other yourpers say it is...

Last edited:
I first found achiote in my local Latino market, El Mexicano brand Achiote Rojo (red), condimentado Yucateco (Yucatan style condiment) spiced seasoning paste. It has a mild, slightly acid, slightly sweet, slightly spicy taste, only the slightest bit hot. It has a slightly vinegary smell. I'm tasting some as I write this description. It's difficult to describe, and I sometimes wonder if I'm not so good at describing tastes/smells. There is a mild chili taste to it but not chili hot. Slightly salty too.

Ingredients: annato seed, cornmeal, corn flour, vinegar, salt, water, granulated garlic, spices, FD&C food color #40, sodium benzoate as a preservative.

Nutrition facts: serving size 1 oz. (25 g), no fat or cholesterol, 50 calories, 500 mg sodium, 11 g carb (fiber 2 g), sugars 1 g, protein 1 g.

You want all that crap in the paste? Make homemade paste.;)

I don't see anything in the ingredient list that isn't found in thousands of products that most of us eat all the time. FD&C? I wonder what it would look like with just the annato. Sodium benzoate? I see it used as a preservative often.

In any case I'm not about to make my own achiote paste until I find a good use for it. I'm experimenting but I haven't found the right recipe yet.

Last edited:
I can't remember the restaurant names, but I saw on a tv show once (either food network or cooking channel) where they featured two places. The point of the show was to see who had the best philly cheesesteak, and they used cheez whiz.

You are right, it was throwdown with Bobby Flay and Tony Luke in Philly.

Normally Tony uses cheesewhiz but he also serves broccoli rabe sandwiches with provolone. They all looked good to me! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom