Chicken livers ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
actually with chicken liver you want very little of anything, as the matter of fact all it needs is a little bit of salt. The flavor is very, how do i say that tender(?) you don't want to kill it. Otherwise no reason to eat the liver.

actually with chicken liver you want very little of anything, as the matter of fact all it needs is a little bit of salt. The flavor is very, how do i say that tender(?) you don't want to kill it. Otherwise no reason to eat the liver.

Delicate? Was that the word you were searching for, Charlie? I agree, it's very easy to overpower chicken livers with other ingredients. You want to compliment them.

Of course, if you don't like chicken livers...:LOL:

I grew up making chicken livers with onions, mushrooms and gravy served over mashed potatoes. Just saute mushrooms and onions then add water and a pack of the dry brown gravy mix. I like to add salt and pepper and crushed red pepper. Simmer for about 20 min. and serve over mashed potatoes, YUMMY.

The only way I'd give a catfish my chicken livers is if I used them in a stuffing:ROFLMAO: for the catfish.

Funny, but I've always thought of chicken livers as rather strong flavored. I've never had them overwhelmed, but that's just MHO.

Last edited:
Sometimes I like to combine the livers, gizzards and hearts...............

img_951228_0_6910473b76ac0d0a3fe5ee8d6713ac28.jpg

......but most of the time, it's just the Livers, with onions over rice......

img_951228_1_8118d8905f37e79a631b7af5312c2dbd.jpg

img_951228_2_22e77f28818c5140dcb716a841dfc324.jpg

img_951228_3_f29c22d7efbb65dff7c81f170276860e.jpg

Last edited:
Do you ever run into lines that you don't know if you responded? When I saw these photos, I was SO reminded of a meal my mom made. I called it Gizzards and Lizards. Mom would save all the "innards" of chickens and toss them in the freezer. Since we ate a lot of chicken, they'd add up. Back then, "hot wings" weren't invented, and wings were available for cheap. She'd boil the gizzards, necks, wings, and necks until tender (OK, the livers were tough by then, but I didn't know that), strain them, then reduce the stock, and boil egg noodles until ready, then throw in a bag of frozen vegetables. There was something about the gizzards that added a certain je ne sais quois stickiness to this meal that I just loved. My dad and I feasted on the livers, my liver-hating sis loved the necks, we all loved the livers and the noodles and vegs. Oh, I'd love to reproduce that meal now, but even if I did, I doubt anyone would eat it but me!

I really liked the last half pound I made. I sauteed them in butter and served them with a white country gravy. White sauce with salt and pepper.

I seasoned the gravy with some of the dried green onions. Mmmm.

I'm going to try this with regular beef liver cut into bite size pieces.

Maybe with some buttered egg noodles.

Love, love, love chicken livers. One of the ways we like them is to lightly dredge them in seasoned flour (salt and pepper) and cook in a small amount of butter until golden. Then, add some chicken broth, white wine and tarragon. Cover and simmer until nice and hot and the liquid becomes somewhat thickened. Doesn't take very long. Serve over rice. Even when they were small, my children loved this dish.

Love, love, love chicken livers. One of the ways we like them is to lightly dredge them in seasoned flour (salt and pepper) and cook in a small amount of butter until golden. Then, add some chicken broth, white wine and tarragon. Cover and simmer until nice and hot and the liquid becomes somewhat thickened. Doesn't take very long. Serve over rice. Even when they were small, my children loved this dish.

That sounds good. I still haven't found Tarragon. I've been looking for it because it really tastes good in tuna, egg, and chicken salad.

Thanks for reminding me. I've added it (again) to the grocery list.

Back
Top Bottom