Chicken livers ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I finally found a tub of chicken livers at the grocery store yesterday.

I need some inspiration. Do you have a TNT recipe?:chef:

Here is my recipe for Chicken Liver Pate. I never have any left when I take it some where, In fact when I take it to a gathering I always make sure I save out a lil bowl of it for myself, as everytime I wish I had a lil more when I got home.

Liver Pate
1-lb Chicken liver chopped
1/4 cup small diced onion
3 tbl butter
low heat - saute onions in butter till soften add liver
saute livers till done and not crispy
as it is cooking mash liver with fork
add 1 - 8 oz cream cheese soften and mix in to liver mixture till blended
then add
1/4 tsp each oregano & basil
chopped pepperoni (i never measured it but would say about 1/2 cup)
(I have used cooked bacon too but love the bite the peproni gives)
salt and pepper to taste.
place into a plastic wrap lined bowl or container( easy to flip on a plate and remove from bowl) refridge till firm and when ready to serve remove from container onto plate and serve with your favorite crackers.
I love this hot also.
When I plate it I put it on top of plate of large leaf lettuce and then put hard boil eggs wedges -red & green peppers rings around it.

Letscook's pate is probably tastier than mine. I fry sliced onions in lots of evoo until soft. Then I fry the chicken livers gently. I put the livers and onion through the meat grinder (a food processor would probably work fine) then stir and season with salt and pepper. I use a lot of onion, but I never measured so I can't tell you how much, probably 2 parts chicken to 1 part onion.

Chopped liver. (deli type)

Cook the livers with onions. Add hard cooked eggs and some chopped up pickle. Season with S&P and grind it all up in a FP.

We love fried chicken livers...just toss them in flour and fry as you would oysters. Don't overcook or they will be hard...just takes a few minutes.

Or use them for ramaki...stuff with a slice of water chestnut, wrap with bacon, secure with toothpick, douse with soy sauce and broil in oven until bacon is cooked.

Or make dirty rice...I think there are several recipes here, or Google it. I use Zatarain's box mix.

Constance just mentioned Ramaki. I made Ramaki a few months ago, and it was a wonderful dinner along with Asian fried rice. Took me right back to the parties of the '60's. I would make a ton of them in those days, and they were always the hit of the party.

Thanks, LetsCook. That looks like a really tasty recipe and I'm saving it for later. What I'm looking for this time, is a main dish recipe.

Since I'm just cooking for myself, I'm thinking I'll split the livers into two dishes for variety.

I used to make Chicken Livers Paprikash and serve it over toast, but it's been a long time and I would have to look up other recipes to recall just how I made it. I do remember the last time I tried it I made way too much and didn't really care for it.

Fried and Ramaki both sound good too.

We love fried chicken livers...just toss them in flour and fry as you would oysters. Don't overcook or they will be hard...just takes a few minutes.

Or use them for ramaki...stuff with a slice of water chestnut, wrap with bacon, secure with toothpick, douse with soy sauce and broil in oven until bacon is cooked.

Or make dirty rice...I think there are several recipes here, or Google it. I use Zatarain's box mix.

i always fry them too. constance are you sure i am not a long lost sibling? we seem to be on the same wave length.;);)

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Saute garlic and shallots in olive oil. Add floured livers and brown on all sides. Add mushrooms and continue to cookd for a couple of minutes. . Deglaze pan with sherry, add demi glace, reduce, scraping all cooked on bits off of bottom of pan. Add cream, coarse black pepper, parsley, fresh thyme...reduce. Serve on thick slices of toasted bread with more fresh parsley...

Last edited:
Saute garlic and shallots in olive oil. Add floured livers and brown on all sides. Add mushrooms and continue to cookd for a couple of minutes. . Deglaze pan with sherry, add demi glace, reduce, scraping all cooked on bits off of bottom of pan. Add cream, coarse black pepper, parsley, fresh thyme...reduce. Serve on thick slices of toasted bread with more fresh parsley...

my goodness that sounds good. will try it, might be a nice change from just fried ones. :chef:

Demi glace? Oh dear, isn't that a lot of work to make? I have read about it, but I'm intimidated.

The fun thing about Rumaki is that you can do it with or without the liver. DH LOVES chicken livers (sauted or in Rumaki) and I don't so it's a dish we can compromise on ...

I also love them saute in butter with onions then take take bread or a even a hot dogs roll -buttered then put in the liver and onions - Yea I know butter overload but I only have it maybe 2 times a year . While eating it the butter is melting - mmmm -- yummy -- Maybe time to have it again.

I named this "Chicken Livers a la Roch" when I copied and pasted it, unless you have a different name for it!

Back
Top Bottom