Chief's Antelope Stroganoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made this last ight. Everyone liked it so much that the big pot had obly about a cup of leftovers I served it with rotini noodles, and butter. I love it when everyone gets to eat something that they enjoy.

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground antelope
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup diced onion
1 cup beef broth
2 tbs. flour
1/4 cup homemade crème fraiche
2 tbs., cooking oil

Make crème fraiche by adding 2 tbs. cultured buttermilk to 2 cups heavy cream. Stir, cover, and let sit at room temp. for 10 to 24 hours in advance (smooth sauce shown in the little bow).l

Heat oil in cast iron Dutch oven. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is soft. Add the ground antelope. .Cover and cook until meat is cooked through. Break up meat and add 1 can condensed mushroom soup (I know, but I had no way to get out and get fresh mushrooms, and the grandkids don't like mushrooms). Simmer for two hours Add 1 cup beef broth and let simmer for 30 minutes more. Make a slurry of the flour, with a bit of water. stir thoroughly into the stroganoff. Just before serving, stir in a quarter cup of the crème fraiche.

This can be served over pasta, egg noodles, or rice.

Oh, and even though I used condensed soup, this tasted really good. The firt picture is the completed result.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20211130_173455.jpg
    20211130_173455.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20211130_154909.jpg
    20211130_154909.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211130_173248.jpg
    20211130_173248.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I've never had an antelope, what is the taste like? Can you compare it to something more common?

And stroganoff is one of my favorite dishes, though i never made it with ground meat, that's an interesting idea.

Antelop that was properly harvested, field dressed, and imediately place in a cold chest is rich, with a mild, almost goat flavor, kind of a cross between god lamb, and goat. It's not as gamey as goat can be, and is not like venison. It would also be great in Greek recipes, where the meat is seasoned, or in southwestern dishes like chili, tacos, etc. It's just good stuff. I'll be using it tonight to make enchilada pie.

Antelop that was properly harvested, field dressed, and imediately place in a cold chest is rich, with a mild, almost goat flavor, kind of a cross between god lamb, and goat. It's not as gamey as goat can be, and is not like venison. It would also be great in Greek recipes, where the meat is seasoned, or in southwestern dishes like chili, tacos, etc. It's just good stuff. I'll be using it tonight to make enchilada pie.

Interesting, I thought it would be gamey indeed. I plan to go to a gastronomy focused store soon, so will check if they have any Antelope meat on sale :)

Sounds very interesting, Chief! Stroganoff is one of the first dishes I mastered, many years ago. Although I've modified my preferred recipe, over the years. It is still a favorite in our house! Thanks for sharing!

In most of the states where pronghorn antelope are common, they're considered wild game and it's illegal to sell the meat. Their biology and far-ranging habits make them hard to raise in confinement, like elk or deer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom