Chief's Best Eggnog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
As usual, due to limited resources, and tools, I had to improvise. That being said, this egg ng came out perfectly smooth, and creamy, with q rich, traditional, but not cloyingly sweet flavor. This is the cooked version, as the raw eggnog requires brandy, rum, or bourbon to kill any pathogens. we don't use alcohol in our household, and it's safe for the grandkids to drink.:mrgreen: I am very pleased with how this turned out.

Ingredients:
4 large eggs, + 2 extra large eggs
6 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 tbs. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp, ground nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar

Separate the yolks into a bowl. Add the sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to the egg yolks. Whisk together until the sugar is completely dissolved, and all is smooth. Heat milk over medium until it just starts to bubble on the edges. Remove the pot from the heat. Slowly whisk 1 cup of the heated milk into the egg yolk mixture to temper it. Place the pot back onto the stove over medium-low heat. Add the tempered yolk mixture into the pot, and cream, whisking until the contents reaches 160' F. Remove the pot from the heat and continue whisking for 1 minute.

Normally, at this stage, you would pour the eggnog through a fine mesh strainer to remove all egg bits. I couldn't find a fine mesh strainer, and had scrambled egg bits. So I poured my eggnog into my high power blender, and blended on low speed to get things started, and increased to high speed for a minute. I tested by pouring a small amount into a glass. It was so creamy, and tasted amazing. The blender, in addition to liquifying the cooked egg, whipped air into the eggnog, making it light and refreshing. It is great hot. I can't wait to try it once it's chilled for a few hours.

Now, what to do with six egg whites. Maybe make some meringue cookies?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

How can you not love a good eggnog? It tastes like a good cake doughnut, but drinkable. Now I can understand not liking the super, cloyingly sweet stuff that comes from the market. But the homemade is smooth, silky, refreshing, and just sweet enough to satisfy without overwhelming. My youngest grandson doesn't like it. The next one up likes it, but it's not his all time favorite. The oldest likes it, but again, can take it or leave it. I have loved eggnog forever.

My grandparents used to always keep PDQ brand Eggnog beads, because they knew I loved the flavor. I was so disappointed when Ovaltine com[any stopped making the PDQ Eggnog, and Chocolate beads. They had great flavor, and dissolved almost instantly in milk.

When I learned to make it from scratch, so many years back, there has not been a fall holiday that didn't have eggnog, either served hot, or cold.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom