Chief's Country Terrine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Do you have leftover meat in your fridge? If so, tis French dish is a delicious way to use them up. It's so good that I will purchase the ingredients to make it.

A terrine is similar to an aspic, and a pate. It's name comes from the vessel it was originally cooked in, a straight-sided earthenware loaf pan called, yep, you guessed it, a terrine. I use a steel loaf pan and get great results.

Terrines rely on collagen, egg, and fat to bind all of the ingredients into a solid loaf, which is chilled, and sliced cold. It's similar in that way to head cheese, but with recognizable parts. Once you make one, you will wonder why you've never made it before. Here's my recipe, and technique.

Ingredients:
1 lb. smoked bacon
1deboned chicken breast1 lamb chop
1 lb pork steak
1 tsp. salt
2 tbs. black peppercorns
1tbs mustard seed
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 cup hulled pistachios

Slice all the meat, with the grain, into long strips, about the width of your pointer finger. Place strips of bacon on the bottom, sides, and ends of the inside surface of the loaf pan. Mix the meat strips together in a bowl, with the egg. Fold in the salt, peppercorns, mustard seed, and pistachios. Lay strips of the meat mixture lengthwise into the loaf pan, right to the top. Cover, and seal with heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Preheat oven to 300' F. Place the loaf pan onto a half sheet to catch any overflowing juices. Bake for 3 hours.

Remove from the oven, and place something heavy on top, like a brick, or cast iron bacon press. Refrigerate overnight.

On the next day, run a cake, frosting spreader along the sides, and ends, and remove the loaf to a cutting board. Slice for sandwiches. Store i fridge, in airtight container.

This recipe is easily modified.
You can use chicken livers, pork liver, beef, or even duck, or goose in it. Yu can add various seasonings, such as cardoon, paprika, red pepper flakes, etc.

I hope you try making your own terrines. They are every bit as good as left over meatloaf, maybe even better.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom