Chief's Dragonfire Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Previously posted - For Chili-Heads only. Don't know if anyone tried it, but many were intrigued at the idea of putting fish in chili. There was a pretty good discussion going on that thread.

This next recipe is hot, very, very hot, possibly too hot for most chili-heads. I like things very hot, and have successfully eaten fresh ghost pepper without feeling any pain. I can eat half a bowl of my Dragonfire Chili before I start to feel pain. After a full bowl of the stuff, my whole mouth is screaming hot, and milk doesn't cool it at all. But I know, that some people are almost addicted to screaming hot chili, and so I'm posting this. Why do I call it Dragonfire Chili; because it's where dragons come to get their fire.:ohmy::LOL: And yes, it's a little too hot for me. But you get the full and delicious flavor of those peppers.

In my defense, the guests who request the chili said to make it as hot as I could possibly make it. Neither of them finished their bowls. One fo them got half-way through one cereal bowl full. The other got through about four tbs. full.

Be forewarned, if you enjoy hot, even really hot, this still may be past your limit.

Dragonfire Chili

Ingredients:
15 oz. can of dark-red kidney beans
24 oz. can pinto beans
1 large onion, cut into slices
24 oz can of diced tomatoes
4 dried ghost peppers
6 dried cayenne peppers
4 fresh habaneros
6 dried Japone peppers
3 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 lbs. ground beef

Put the beans, tomato, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, and celery into a large pot (this will fill the average slow cooker). Brown the ground beef and season with salt to taste. Add the browned ground beef and sliced onion to the sauce.

Place all of the peppers, except the habaneros, into a blender and blend until all peppers are thoroughly ground into a powder. Add the powdered peppers to the sauce and meat. Place a half cup of the sauce into the blender, and the habaneros, and blend into an emulsion. Add to the chili. Cover and simmer over very low heat for an hour.

If you so desire, thicken with a quarter cup of masa harina stirred into the chili. It adds a nice flavor and cools the burn slightly.

Make a first aid kit of ice cream, and/or very cold ice-milk to cool the burn.

If you're a crazy chili-head, this chili will satisfy you. If you are a normal chili lover, this will make you cry. Just sayin'.

After eating that bowl full of chili, I could breath on two pieces of steel and braise them together.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
"This next recipe is hot, very, very hot, possibly too hot..."

I like hot Please Stop There> hot hot hot is a few too many Hots for me. I also like Spicy. I think there is a difference between hot and the components that make up spicy. Chile peppers is just one of them.

Do you add the Chilies/ spices in batches throughout the cooking process like they do at Chili Cook-offs events. That would certainly keep the heat in the forefront.

I might try to eat a small bowl or your chili ... if I was hooked up to an ekg monitor and a promise of a bowl of ice cream after. :)

O probably won't make this chili again. The guests were insistent that I make it as hot as I could. They just didn't understand what I know about peppers.

Like I said, a couple of spoonfuls, or even half a bowl, I can handle. I've been eating this stuff since last Saturday. Surprisingly, when I ate it Saturday night, it didn't seem as hot as after 3 days in the fridge.

Enjoy your pain, Chief. I prefer to get pleasure from food.

...and don't tell me pain gives you pleasure...

When I eat something too hot, doesn't happen often, I find lemon works well to dissolve the capsaicin off the mucous membranes in my mouth. Sometimes I just add a bit of lemon juice to some water.

Chili pepper heat is a strong alkalai. The acid in the lemon juice would serve to neutralize it.

Andy, I do like things hot, but don't enjoy pain any more than you do. This was a one-time batch that I won't be making again. I love flavorful chili, but it shouldn't cause pain. As I said, this was too hot. 1 ghost pepper gives good flavor that adds just something extra to good chilli. The same is true of each of the peppers that went into the batch. But chili doesn't have to have any heat at all to be great chili. My white chili is as good a chili as I can make, and is very mild.

I think this was a learning experience for me. Even if guests ask me to make chili as hot as I can, I just won't. I'll make it hot enough to be challenging for those folks, but no burn, at least not for me. That's not to say that it won't be hot to them.;)

But how did you feel the next day ... if you catch my drift ...:nuke:

Actually, I have no problems in the lower GI's waste disposal area. No burn. Wasn't praying for the ice cream to come through.:LOL:

The entrance burn was enough for me. As I said, Dragonfire chili is were dragons come to get their fire.

O probably won't make this chili again. The guests were insistent that I make it as hot as I could. They just didn't understand what I know about peppers.

Like I said, a couple of spoonfuls, or even half a bowl, I can handle. I've been eating this stuff since last Saturday. Surprisingly, when I ate it Saturday night, it didn't seem as hot as after 3 days in the fridge.

I find my chili gets hotter after it sits over night. I add ground ghost pepper, ground chipotle, cayenne, hot paprika, sweet paprika, ground red pepper flakes, 1 or 2 whole dried small, skinny hot red chili peppers and 1 or 2 whole large mild Mexican chili peppers, cumin, chili powder, FRENCH'S brand Chili-O mix (LOVE that stuff have to get it through Amazon), green bell pepper, onion. crushed tomato and beans to my chili. Serve over brown rice topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream and scallions. I added cocoa powder once and it was wonderful the NEXT day (it has to sit overnight to develop the flavor). I love to make chili dogs all the way with my chili on whole wheat buns.

img_1422052_0_2a9abbb90336ac413d089cd46ee2284e.jpg

Last edited:
I find my chili gets hotter after it sits over night. I add ground ghost pepper, ground chipotle, cayenne, hot paprika, sweet paprika, ground red pepper flakes, 1 or 2 whole dried small, skinny hot red chili peppers and 1 or 2 whole large mild Mexican chili peppers, cumin, chili powder, FRENCH'S brand Chili-O mix (LOVE that stuff have to get it through Amazon), green bell pepper, onion. crushed tomato and beans to my chili. Serve over brown rice topped with shredded cheddar, sour cream and scallions. I added cocoa powder once and it was wonderful the NEXT day (it has to sit overnight to develop the flavor). I love to make chili dogs all the way with my chili on whole wheat buns.

img_1422062_0_2a9abbb90336ac413d089cd46ee2284e.jpg

Sounds a lot like what I made, except I used maybe too many of those many types of chilis.:LOL:. Glad you've mastered yours.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom