Chief's Multi-Grain Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My Best Multiti-Grain Bread

Chief's Muti-grain Bread
Ingredients:
3 cups unbleached bread flour
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup white chia seed
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
2 tbs. vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup what bran
1/4 cup broken sunflower seeds
1/4 cup psililum husks
2 tsp. SAF Red or Gold instant yeast*
3 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
3 tbs. granulated white sugar
2 cups plus 2 tbs. cool water
6 tbs. Unsalted butter

Place all dry ingredients, except the unbleached white flour into a blender, and blend to make a smooth flour. Place flour, sugar, salt, multi-grain mix ture, and yeast into a large bowl and whisk together. Add room temperature water. Knead by hand for ten minutes, or with a dough hook in your mixer for 7 minutes. Wet hands and use a small piece of dough to perform a window test. If the dough is good, rub a small amount of butter all over the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temp. for 1 hour. Add the butter and knead for 5 minutes to fully incorporate the butter into the dough. Do the window test again. If the dough passes, divide the dough into two equal pieces and fold all edges inward.

Shape each portion into a rectangle the length of your loaf pans. Gently rock the dough to make the bottom seam smooth. Place into well buttered bread pans. Dust plastic wrap with four and place over the bread pans. Let rise for about an hour at room temperature, or until the dough rises a little over the pan top. Preheat the oven to 350’ F. brush the dough top with melted butter and place in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes. The bead should be lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and let rest for 3 minutes. Invert loaf pans to remove bread to cooling rack. Brush the loaves with butter. Let cool for 2 hours before slicing.

Again, this is a solidly good loaf of bread that is great for French Toast, or toast and butter with fried eggs, as an accompaniment to pasta, stew, or soups. It's also very good sandwich bread, especially for grilled cheese., and BLT's. It has great texture, and tastes great.

Its also a really great bread for making pigs in the blanket with full-sized hot dogs.
Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes, replying to a very old thread here, but lots of old threads to follow.
Can anyone please share the yield for this recipe?
Some other questions:
Are we activating the yeast just with room temperature water?
What is it window test, please?

Sorry, but all my attempts at bread have failed and I’m trying not to give in to buying a bread maker and prepared mixture.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jade, Chief passed away just recently. We are all missing him greatly, what a good soul and a veritable fountain of information.
As to your specific quesitons someone more knowledgeable than I will be along to answer soon.

Plus do not malign the poor bread machine as I did :blush: for many years. I have finally broken down and bought one. I like it but am still getting used to it. Got it mainly because my hands cannot do a lot of the kneading needed. Life is also very different for me here and I found the time factor of waiting between rises were never working out for me... hence the machine.
But all in all - the machine does the work but I still pull it out and bake the bread in the oven.

The window pane test and technique is about stretching the dough until it thins out so you can see through it without tearing. It's a way to check gluten development. I consider it overrated but to each their own. I've had better luck with poke tests.

Some other questions:

Sorry, but all my attempts at bread have failed and I’m trying not to give in to buying a bread maker and prepared mixture.
Thanks
Pick your battles!

IMO the Chief’s recipe is expensive and a bit of a stretch for a beginning baker.

It looks like the recipe would yield two one pound loaves.

The three tablespoons of sugar will ‘feed’ the yeast. You could combine the yeast part of the water and sugar to give the yeast a head start before adding it but it should be fine as written.

I would start with a basic recipe similar to this one.

Cuban Bread from The Tightwad Gazette

5 to 6 cups all purpose flour (you can substitute whole wheat flour for 1 or 2 cups)
2 tablespoons dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 cups hot water (120 to 130 degrees)
1 tablespoon sesame or poppy seeds

Mix 4 cups of the flour with the yeast, sugar and salt. Pour in hot water and beat 100 strokes, or 3 minutes with a mixer. Stir in the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead 8 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and cover with a damp towel. Let rise 15 minutes. Punch down. Divide into two pieces. Shape into two round loaves, and place on a baking sheet. Cut an X ½ inch deep on top with a sharp knife. Brush with water, and sprinkle with seeds. Place on the middle shelf of a COLD oven. Place a cake pan of hot water on the lowest shelf. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake 40 to 50 minutes until deep golden brown.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi, Jade Emperor, and welcome to DC.

Yeast likes a warm bath - heat the liquid to about 110 degrees for Active Dry Yeast. While Rapid Rise (Bread Machine) yeast likes it a bit warmer (120-130), I just toss it on top of all the other ingredients in my bread machine pan - so it usually goes in right after the flour(s).

Some other questions:

Thanks
I love my bread machine for what it does best - knead the ingredients and provide a warm place for the first rise. After that, I take it out of the bread machine, pat its little bottom after a couple of hand kneads, and lay it into the pan for the second rise. Except for when I first bought my first machine (perhaps in the 1980s?), I have never used a prepared mix or baked the bread in the machine. What I do now is mise en place all the ingredients that can be left out of refrigeration the night before, along with empty containers for the refrigerated stuff, the night before I want to bake bread. This way I don't forget that I did want to make bread by the time I get up the next day. :LOL:

Even though I have about four cookbooks specifically for bread machine breads, I still fall back on reliable recipes that are in user's manual from my first machine.

Jade, unless you have someone to show you and let you actually see the different stages of the bread rising, and IF you can afford it, I would get a machine to start you off. It does all the work and you get to experience what it feels and looks like.

WOW Aunt Bea, that Cuban bread sounds great - and easy. On my list!

CG :sneaky: I have a ton of recipes - but like you, only a few I keep going back to. LOL

Jade, try going to this site Jenny Can Cook I believe, if you check under video's she does one on a No Knead Bread - but also a couple of others. One thing really touts is to "fluff" your flour. You don't say what is wrong with your bread so it's sort of hard to judge, perhaps you are using too much flour?
Another site with a video Easy Artisan Yeast Bread This is Nagi of Recipe Tin Eats - good blog, Aussie gal.

Le us know how you do!

@Jade Emperor another thought.

If you are new to working with yeast dough you could start with something basic like a pizza crust to get the hang of the temperatures, kneading, etc… without a big investment of time or ingredients.

The one piece of equipment that I’ve found handy to have is a simple bench scraper. It allows me to work the dough with a little less flour.

1682428415023.jpeg

I’m fine with pizza dough, I have a number of recipes for it to satisfy all tastes.
My bread always turns out hard almost impossible to slice, but I will be the first to admit that I really haven’t put a great deal of time into research into bread baking. Thanks so much everyone for the helpful advice and tips 😊

I’m fine with pizza dough, I have a number of recipes for it to satisfy all tastes.
My bread always turns out hard almost impossible to slice, but I will be the first to admit that I really haven’t put a great deal of time into research into bread baking. Thanks so much everyone for the helpful advice and tips 😊
Try going over the crust with a cold stick of butter when you take the bread out of the oven.

The small amount of melted butter will soak in and soften the crust.

Back
Top Bottom