Chief's Over-The-Top Grilled Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Now I'm not saying that this is the best grilled cheese sandwich ever made. I am saying that it's probably unique. And it's very tasty.

You know how great sharp cheddar and a crisp, juicy apple slice are together? That's the inspiration for this version. it's made with an apple flavored French tost, with 1000 day aged Gouda, and 3 year Cheddar. here;s how you make this delicious sandwich:

Ingredients:
1 cup intense apple cider
2 large eggs
1/44 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 dashes ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
2 slices hearty bread
thin slices 1000 day old Gouda to cover 1 slice bread
3 tbs. butter, softened

Combine the apple cider, eggs, spices, sugar in a wide bowl. Whisk until smooth. Dredge 1 slice of bread into the egg mixture. Melt 1 tbs butter on skillet over medium heat. Dredge bread slices in egg mixture. Place in griddle. Cook to golden brown. Dip one slice and cover with the Gouda and cheddar cheese. Place the cooked side of the other slice on top to make a sandwich. When the bottom slice is golden brown, flip the entire sandwich and cook the last side. Serve with, or without syrup.:yum:

If you want, you can put sausage, bacon, or ham in the sandwich.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Norht

Now that sounds really delicious Chief. I'm guessing I could use apple juice if I can't find cider?

Yes, you can use apple juice. The cider I use comes from Southern Mi., and has an intense apple flavor. There is no added sugar. The maker claims that the cider is mdse from many different varieties of apples, from numerous farms in the area, simply pressed and pasteurized cider. All I know is that it has great flavor. You could also use water. and Alpine brand hot cider mix. That way, you can make the cider as strong as you want.

I think this woul be great with a good Ementellar, or aged Swiss in place of the cheddar, thiiugh I realy love a good aged cheddar. As always, I invite you to alter the recipe, and make it to your taste.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yes, you can use apple juice. The cider I use comes from Southern Mi., and has an intense apple flavor. There is no added sugar. The maker claims that the cider is mdse from many different varieties of apples, from numerous farms in the area, simply pressed and pasteurized cider. All I know is that it has great flavor. You could also use water. and Alpine brand hot cider mix. That way, you can make the cider as strong as you want.

I think this woul be great with a good Ementellar, or aged Swiss in place of the cheddar, thiiugh I realy love a good aged cheddar. As always, I invite you to alter the recipe, and make it to your taste.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Great idea, and I have that! :D

Back
Top Bottom