Chief's Strawberry Pie/Dumpcake Filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Chief's Strawberry Pie Filling

This recipe uses fresh, or frozen whole strawberries to make a sweet filling that can be used for pies, dump cakes, to fill doughnuts, eclairs, etc. It's eaily made, and can be canned or frozen for future use.

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh, or frozen strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbs. lemon juice
2 tbs. Corn, or tapioca starch

Mash 2 cups of strawberries with the sugar. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let sit in the fridge for an hour. The sugar will draw the liquid out of the nerries, making a sweet, and lucious slurry. This is called macerating the strawberries. H
While the berries are turning into that yummy syrup, slicee the remaining berries lengthwise into three pices. Add the lemon juice, and salt to the macerated berries, stirring to combine. Place sliced berries in a pot with the macerated berries, and heat over a low flame to a simmer. Make a smooth slurry with the starch by micing with 2 tbs of water. Slowly add the slurry to the simmering berries. Remove from heat; place in clean jars, and refrigerate, or freeze until ready to use. This metod can be used with many kinds of fruit, including rhubarb, an citrus pieces. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That would work well for an easy Strawberry Trifle, Chief. Don't cha think?

The way I make a Trifle for pot-luck campouts is to make one Jiffy Yellow Cake (in an 8-inch, square pan), make a batch of strawberries (I don't do the cooking part), a small box of Instant Vanilla Pudding and I layer them in a 14-cup Rubbermaid Storage Container (I have the clear kind, so it is almost like glass...sort of, if you squint kinda?). Start by cutting the cake in 9 pieces. Then cut them in half, horizontally. Then I put a layer of cake in the bottom of the container, next goes half of the strawberries, then half of the pudding, repeat. Then top the whole thing with fresh whipped cream or just bring that along for each to add there own whipped cream. I have friends that don't like whipped cream! Can you imagine? Cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours or overnight.

Anyway, I'll have to take a picture of it next time. Since it is in a covered container, it travels well or sits on the pot luck table until dessert time. Bring along a large serving spoon to scoop it out. It is always a hit and easy-peasy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom