Chief's Super Moist Carrot Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]" You insulted me by inferring that my carrot cake was inferior."[/FONT]
That is nonsense. I merely pointed out that USA cake (yours) and Austrian cakes have a consistent difference in density. For 30 years, we ate USA cakes. Then we encountered Austrian cake and stopped eating USA cake (about 50 yrs). So I suggested you try making an Austrian version of your cake, and report on the comparison.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]" You insulted me by inferring that my carrot cake was inferior."[/FONT]
That is nonsense. I merely pointed out that USA cake (yours) and Austrian cakes have a consistent difference in density. For 30 years, we ate USA cakes. Then we encountered Austrian cake and stopped eating USA cake (about 50 yrs). So I suggested you try making an Austrian version of your cake, and report on the comparison.

This is what you wrote. It sounds insulting to me.

So here’s a challenge to Chief Longwind Of The North: figure out how to convert your soggy cake to an Austrian cake and let us know how the two compare.

Since you seem to be the expert in Austrian cakes, maybe you should convert this "soggy cake".

Secondly, it seems you don´t like American recipes very much; viz. French Baguettes and Austrian Cake. And yet you live in a small village in Utah, where, I surmise, there are few, if any Michelin Starred restaurants or world famous patissiers.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]n[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the early days of travel web [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]s[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ites, IgoUgo was the leading challenger to TripAdvisor. There were 2 differences between IgoUgo & TripAdvisor. IgoUgo wanted long, at least 1,000 word reviews, while TripAdvisor., was, a[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]n[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]d still is, as brainless an Twitter. I was the # 2 top contributor to IgoUgo, beat out by a stewardess. One of my IgoUgo posts explained why the world’s best restaurant was [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]once l[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]o[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]c[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ated in our “small village in UT”. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When we moved to our “small village in UT”, I did a lot of searching of restaurant reviews. One said, and I have no reason to dispute it, that Simon's at the Homestead (6 miles away), was the best eating between Chicago and San Francisco. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As for “[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] patisseries.”, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]before she moved away, we regulatory purchased Napoleons from a local [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] patisserie [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]who made multiple appearances on “Cake Boss”. The luxury resort 2 miles further down the road also sold a good N[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]a[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]po[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]l[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ean, but it cost $2 more than the Cake Boss lady. [/FONT]
“[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]it seems you don´t like American recipes very m[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Quote: “[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Secondly, it seems you don´t like American recipes very much; viz. French Baguettes and Austrian Cake. And yet you live in a small village in Utah, where, I surmise, there are few, if any Michelin Starred restaurants or world famous patisseries.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]How do you[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]know what American recopies I do or do not like​?[/FONT]

I see no reason to change the recipe if he is happy with the results (Taste, texture, consistency, as in it comes out the same each time it is made).

Changing the recipe would create an all new recipe.

Telling, or insisting that someones recipe/ end result is sub-par based on ones own likes or dislikes just doesn't make sense.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ll I did was ask if Longwinds cake would be better or not if done in Austrian style. Why cont you people understand that?[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]A[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ll I did was ask if Longwinds cake would be better or not if done in Austrian style. Why cont you people understand that?[/FONT]

I can't speak for all the "you people" in this forum but, there are a number of us who welcome knowledgeable cooks/bakers and appreciate informative contributions.

That said, none of us enjoy being talked down to as we consider the person talking down to us to be an ass.

I, personally, consider much of your posting to be that of a food snob jerk and just hope that you aren't the same in other aspects of your life.

Ross

One of my IgoUgo posts explained why the world’s best restaurant was once located in our “small village in UT”.
Undoubtedly a highly subjective opinion, but I´m sure you could convince the Guide Michelin to include it in their next issue.
Igougo closed down in 2013, so it is simply irrelevant in 2022.
And I´ll just reinforce what other members have already said: berating other posters and ordering them to change their recipes because of a somewhat specious, highly subjective preference is hardly the way to share ideas on a food forum.

In the words of the late, great Hamilton Burger, kb0000's comments are, "Incompetent, irrelevant and immaterial!" If he wishes to discuss his critic merits, or otherwise vent, there are places to do that. Both here in the Off Topic section or on a forum that has those interest. In the meantime, he shows no evidence of being a Baker or a chef of any kind, and as such, I'll simple ignore his comments.

Now, back to the topic at hand, I'm off to the store to buy yellow squash, raisins and cream cheese. I would like to hear from others, thoughts on splitting the Chief's Carrot Cake recipe into 2 pans, such that I might gift half of it as I feel it is more than we might be able to use in a timely manner. Also, I'm thinking of buying the Whipped cream cheese, as it might give me a head start on the whipping! :LOL: On topic input is greatly encouraged!!

Exchanging pre-whipped creme for regular... I've often thought of that but then think that you don't have the same quantity - even though the packages do say you do... my brain just won't accept it.

Let me/us know how it works out!

And I should think there would be no problem dividing. You will have to keep an eye on the length of time baking.

Says I who has never done either.

Ginny, I would put the extra effort into whipping regular cream cheese. I think the pre-whipped would have more liquid so it could affect the moisture content. Then again, it is going into the frosting, and who wants a dry frosting?

If I want softer cream cheese, I nuke it for about ten seconds on high. Makes it mooshy and spreadable.

Ginny, I would put the extra effort into whipping regular cream cheese. I think the pre-whipped would have more liquid so it could affect the moisture content. Then again, it is going into the frosting, and who wants a dry frosting?

If I want softer cream cheese, I nuke it for about ten seconds on high. Makes it mooshy and spreadable.

Thanks, CG! As it turns out, they were out of the plain Whipped Cream Cheese. They had only the Buffalo Whipped Cream Cheese. So, I've got it out on the counter to come to room temp. More to come, later!

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jacques Pepin: "when I came to this country…[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [I found that] People (Americans) are berserk about [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]their[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] food.” [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Carrot cake was Pepin’s example of crazy American eating.. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I googled “synonyms for moist” and google changed it to “synonyms for moist cake” which are: “[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]damp, dampish, steamy, humid, muggy, clammy, dank, moisture-laden, wet, wettish, rainy, drizzly, drizzling, dewy, dripping, soggy, sweaty, sticky” [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif](Oxford English Dictionary). [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] If moist is OK, so is soggy. Longwind actually insults his cake more than you & he think I did. He calls it “super moist”.[/FONT]

I googled “synonyms for moist” and google changed it to “synonyms for moist cake”.
Well now! A synonym is, by definition, a word with an identical or similar meaning to another. That doesn´t mean all synonyms are identical, as taxlady so rightly observed.
I looked up synonyms for "dirty":

oiled grimy grubby filthy mucky stained unwashed greasy smeared smeary
spotted smudged cloudy muddy dusty sooty unclean sullied impure
tarnished polluted contaminated defiled foul unhygienic insanitary unsanitary
cruddy yucky icky manky gungy grotty bogging befouled besmirched begrimed feculent

but I don´t think I´d want to go to a restaurant and eat "defiled" rice.
Nor would I want to go to the movies to see " Besmirched Dancing":LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Chief can call his cake whatever he wants, and it looks to me as if he´s picked the perfect description

Nothing better than a sweaty, soggy, sticky piece of cake when one is collapsing with consumption of dibilitation of expenditure due to fatigue and feebleness.

Not all synonyms work in all situations... I would certainly not call a piece of 'moist' cake 'soggy' or 'sweaty' unless it was excessive or literally dripping.

Would you use the word abusive for someone who was merely impolite? There is a fine difference.

Last edited:
We very much enjoyed Chief's Super Moist Carrot Cake today. Bonus, it was easy to make too! DH loved it and that is saying a lot since he really isn't much of a dessert person. I made it into 3 cakes, as all I could find were the 8x8 size. Today, the lucky winners of 2 of the cakes will receive their prize. So, more info to come later. I couldn't be more pleased with the cake. Thanks, Chief!

IMG_6500 (2).jpg

IMG_6495 (2).jpg

oh, oh, oh... am a winner? please, please, please ... let me be a winner?
if I do a cute face, will I be a winner... ??? please?? :bunny::bunny::bunny:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom