Chile Pot Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
I had some extra chiles tonight, and a 3 pound roast, so I tried something a little different. It turned out great, so I thought I would share it here.

I decided I wanted the meat to be snug in the pan, so I put the roast (a pot roast with a good sized ribbon of fat running through it) in a large loaf pan. I poured about 1/2 cup of the juice from a can of whole mild green chiles over the meat. Then I split open 5 or 6 whole chiles and laid them on top of the roast so that it was mostly covered. I covered it tightly with foil.

I don't know exactly how long I cooked it, but it was somewhere between 2 and 3 hours, starting at 325 degrees F, then about half an hour before I took it out I raised it to 350. (I probably would have cooked it the full time on the lower temperature, but we were really hungry so I turned it up to speed things up!).

The roast was tender and juicy and had a gentle heat radiating through it.

That sounds like a great idea! I have some jalaps I may slice up and put on a couple chuck clods I have on the smoker, just to see what would happen.

Thanks for sharing.

Yum! I wish I could make something like that at my house. But I'd have to cook a second roast for my DW as she can't eat anything even remotely spicy hot.

I'm thinking that your pot roast could be so versatile. One night serve it as a roast, the next, shred it and add a little cilantro and cumin to make it shredded beef for tacos or burritos. If there's any left over, turn that into soup.

Or, just use the leftovers from the original roast to make sandwiches.

OK, now I need to say what I should have said at the beginning of this; What a great idea!:mrgreen: Great job!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks, Barbara. Like GW, I can't make this for my guys, but I will certainly save it for a time I need a company meal (and I will do something else for Dad and DH).

Back
Top Bottom