Chili made me sick as a dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I make a pot of chili last night and after I ate a couple of bowls I had a terrific stomach ache and it seemed the chili didn't want to digest. I did everything according to the recipe and the only reason that I can figure for my illness is that something in the ingredients was tainted in some way. Maybe the meat was not good. Anyway its one day later and I still feel somewhat sick in the stomach. Of course I threw the rest of the chili out. Has anyone else had an experience like that? And what do you think the cause might be?

Fortunately, not for years, KOW. And usually restaurant food!

Hope you feel better soon, and didn't get any other food "tainted". Can't think of anything other than meat, in most recipes, that could be infested, except canned foods.

Last edited:
First time I ate chilly was in a restaurant. I was sick for at least 3 days, maybe longer. It was totally unfamiliar food. That’s what made me I’ll. I can eat now. Took years of practice. But I still don’t like it

Well we can't know what was bad in it, but I'd guess the meat since most of the ingredients are dry goods besides tomatoes if those are included.

Can you easily or often digest bean dishes and how do you do with spices? Were there a lot of spices? One of my son's didn't do well with a heavily spiced dish as a child but now likes lots of spices and hot foods...

I made a new batch using the same recipe and it didn't make me sick so something was tainted in that first batch

I made a new batch using the same recipe and it didn't make me sick so something was tainted in that first batch

It's mostly likely the meat. But, it could be vegis or cheese that somehow got tainted with unfriendly micro-organisms through cross contamination or contact with feces somewhere in the supply chain.

it might be the chili but it might not be. i've heard that food poisoning can take 2 weeks to affect you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom